Hormonal Staff Infections

Kathy

Owned by
2 cockers
My family Doctor is also my dear friend. She has a beautiful 3 year old female Rottie, but is having a problem with her. She had a small raw place (sorta looked like a hot spot) come up on her rear hock. The sore became slightly larger,swollen and she developed a slight limp. She took her to the vet...he fells the placed heeled outside first and could have more infection in it,put her on a strong antibiotic. Made e-rays of both rears legs and only a slight shadow in leg with issue and good leg. Not sure yet if the slight shadow could be any bone damage from infection.

He thinks it could be staff (which is always present) but can be triggered when a dog comes into heat by hormones. She is heartbroken as she purchased this girl to breed but the vets advice is to spay her to reduce trigger of staff invasions. I think a second opinion would be good...been on meds for 6 days now and no improvement. I have read somewhere years ago that staff can be triggered by hormones but cannot find in it my medical books. I know there are several breeders here and would like to know if you all have ever heard of, or have any females that this happens to when in heat or when breed? Can this be passed to the puppies?

Thanks so much for any info.

So sorry your friend's Rottie girly is having problems. We had Rotties for over 20 years and never ran into this with either of our two girls nor have I heard of it. That doesn't mean it won't/can't happen - I am certainly not an expert. I would go for a second opinion for sure.
About that shadow.....I'm not really sure how to say this delicately but you need to tell your friend to have that same "shadow" spot x-ray'd in a couple of weeks and see if there is any change. Not knowing what that "shadow" looks like it scares me as Rotties are very prone to osteosarcoma and it spreads rapidly.
Praying for her to heal quickly! Please tell your friend I send kisses to her girly. :) I loves Rottie smoochies!

Thank you Dotty....I am also scared of the small shadow on the bone and so is she. Being a doctor she requested the other leg have an ex-ray so she could compare and see if it was the same and it did not have the small shadow on it. We also have owned three Rotties years ago as they are my Husbands favorite breed but never had this issue. We never did breed as ours were fixed when young.
The lump is getting no smaller even on meds and she still has a limp in the rear leg...the shadow is right at the lump so it is a scary concern that it could be working into the bone. Also pain meds have had no effect on the limp at all.
I just know somewhere I have read about hormones triggering a staff when dogs comes into heat...but for the life of me cannot find it anywhere. Not saying this is a staff induced infection but I wish I could find it in my books since her Vet told her this. I am like you and feel something is in the bone by the ex-rays...hoping the next ones will be clear.

This is the only thing I have found for you so far. I did see reference (as in questions about) on a couple of Rottie forums that mention possible hormonal triggers but nothing concrete.

http://www.vetinfo.com/causes-of-staph-infections-in-dogs.html

Dogs will often have an allergic reaction to household chemicals or pesticides, and this causes the infection. Dust or fleas can also trigger a staph infection. A sick dog, or pets suffering from hypothyroidism or hormonal problems are more susceptible to this infection. Environmental stress and neglect are other causative factors.

Read more: Causes of Staph Infections in Dogs - VetInfo

Thank you so very much Dotty...I am going to ask her tonight if she has used anything new in her house as she is a clean freak...lol Euro is such a pampered girl,she stays in the kitchen while she is at work,sleeps with them at night,eats grain free food and already been hip certified as were both her parents. Dad was a Westminster best in breed several years ago and she was thrilled to get her and planed on having a couple of litters of puppies before spaying her. Already had a sire picked out and this happened right when she come into heat,so no breeding till they figure this out. She has one of the best temperaments and just a stunning 105 pound black shiny girl.
She also has bred and showed exotic Bengal cats for many years so this has really racked her brain and just devastated her. She is my age and owned and bred Rotties many years ago and just wanted to have one more and raise a couple more litters as she enjoys it so much.

Dotty...we also was very excited about her breeding as she had offered us a pup...we have seriously been thinking about it as my husband loves them so much. I really do not need another mini horse...lol but not sure if I could say no while getting to watch Rottie pups be born and grow up. Hopefully everything will work out good for Euro.

I hope everything is ok. Yes I know a "a shadow " is very scary. Praying for her. I know my friends have a standard dachshund that broke out in hives when she came in season. They were not sure if she was allergic to something, but the hives continued through her season. After that she got a little staff infection which were treated with antibiotics. I would definitely go for a second opinion. Maybe even seek a hollistic vet.

Thank you guys so much,another Vet trip today and now Euro has been put on steroids and more pain meds as he thinks it could be a torn ACL since the antibiotics did no good at all for her. Really hoping she will go to another vet next week if Euro has no improvements on this course of meds.

Our little Zoe' has issue with staph infectins and stress can play a role in her having an outbreak, so I would think that a hormonal surge could cause enough stress to produce a staph flare-up. Did they do a Culture and Sensitivity on the lesion? The first antibiotic that we put Zoe' on did not work well and we had to find one that did.

If her vet is not an ortho I would sure encourage her to see one, sooner than later as things can spread fast.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info DJ...not sure about the culture,I will ask her. Poor Euro is still limping and I will also encourage an ortho vet to her.

Update of Euro...she had another trip yesterday to a different Vet,he says a sprain,put her on yet another kind of meds for the next 10 days. Poor girl's system is going to be so messed up from all these strong meds. If this does not help,she will take to Knoxville (the closest large city) for an Ortho visit next.

Yeah, her system will be messed up. Poor punkin is she still limping? She a bog strong girly but a couple of doses of Pepcid would probably do her good. Maybe some probiotics too. Sending lots of hugs.

Yeah, her system will be messed up. Poor punkin is she still limping? She a bog strong girly but a couple of doses of Pepcid would probably do her good. Maybe some probiotics too. Sending lots of hugs.
Exactly what I was thinking .. poor baby girly. I might add a little milk thistle to protect her liver from all the harsh meds.

Euro is a little better and wearing a soft splint but still limping Dotty :(

In the last 2 1/2 weeks she has been on Baytril antibiotics (136 mg) twice a day for 10 days and pain meds then added in 10 days of steroids...then more stronger pain meds and now Gabapentin...I am not familiar with this one,have you all ever used it?

TY...I will suggest the pepcid and milk thistle to her...she already has her on probiotics

Farley takes gabapentin - it is a drug for pain that works on neurological pathways. Farley uses it because it's easier on the kidneys and liver.

Gaba was a big favorite here when Nicholas would throw his back out. Gentler, but very effective

Sending hugs to Euro and family. Poor girl, hope she gets well. Lots of meds so far. Glad she is on some probiotics. Sending prayers for her healing.

Thank you so much ladies!! I am so glad to know this is a more gentle med...she has taken so many harsh ones in such a short time frame.

Back