Hoshi's hair matted with dryer

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
This was my first time grooming a long haired cocker. I'll post pictures later. Gina will probably kill me. :redface: Hoshi didn't start out with mats until I started blow drying him with a canister dryer. I was taking the nozzle and waving it back in forth on his hair when I started noticing mats. I didn't understand it all because I didn't see any before. Then I started to suspect I was making them with the dryer. My wife says I should have used a brush while drying him. I had to CUT them out. I used the thinning shears hoping it wouldn't look so bad.

Now that it's too late, how can I prevent this next time.

Manuel there are two solutions
First is a short haircut.
Second if first isn't desired, what happened is you're using a powerful airflow and you were holding it too close to Hoshi's body therefore causing "spiderweb" mats. Next time hold the nozzle further away from his body so as to disperse the airflow.
Hopefully Gina won't actually kill you since you learned from it LOL.
BTW a brush just helps the hair dry faster while drying and you still would have had mats if the airflow was too close and powerful.

Last edited:
ouch! Hard lesson. I don't blow-dry my dogs but I know my baby-fine hair has to be brushed while blow-drying or it tangles.

Yup, using a brush and a blowdyer are best -- brushing the fur up and holding the dryer a little farther away -- so now you know.

HA..... we have all done this Manuel -- no sweat

Yep Manuel, been there and done that LOL... my solution was Robin's first suggestion. I had kind of been inspired by the zim forum, lots there keep their dogs in full coat. So, I was letting my boys grow, I loved the look, they hated the grooming, and I hated the time it took to blow out.. hence.. clip clip! ^_^

In fact, Pepper got so he would hide from me, I still know better than to try to get him out of a hiding place, I value my arm and hand to much.. so I took him down even further, very short for me, now we are both happy.^_^

Back