Housetraining

Tanisha

Hi! I have a 12 week old Sprocker Spaniel. He has settled in great and house training is going really well. The only problem I have had with house training is if I leave him in his crate early evening (MAX time 1 hour) he just poo's everywhere and stands in it and even digs it! I understand he is still young and learning, but the rest of time time is perfect! I have even made sure he has already done his usual amount of poo's before putting him into the crate. I think he stresses himself out too much and that is why it happens?
Any advice/ideas to help stop this would be greatly appreciated!

I know that I achieved the very best results when potty training by keeping to a schedule. I never had that problem when I was raising my puppy, but, we are home all the time and Pye
only went into his crate for sleeping. Perhaps keep him out for a while after eating then take him out twice before putting him in his crate??

Another option would be to enroll him in puppy training after he's had his shots. It's great training for him and also for you. You could talk to your trainer about this at that time.

I would also try Polly's suggestion on a regular potty schedule. If he's fearful of the crate you should retrain him with positive re enforcement. Google and YouTube have information on crate training. Gain his trust so he knows being in the crate is temporary.

That regular potty and regular feeding schedule will help the whole process go much smoother. It makes for predictable potty habits of both kinds and then you both know what to expect. Has he been crate trained?

Back