How long does it take a cockers hair to grow to full coat

Cyndylil

Hello, I'm so glad I found this forum. I live in Florida and one of my cockers is a chocolate. He's 2 years old now, and his coat is starting to get long. Part of me wants to keep growing it to see it in its full glory, I just know it's going to be beautiful, he has such long beautiful ears now. But another part of me wants to shave him for the summer because it gets so hot here in FL. He is already seeking the shade when outside. But I'm thinking it will take 2 years to grow his coat in completely, so I'm reluctant to cut it and than have to start all over again, I started letting it grow about August of 2016. But he is still very much a puppy, loves to run, play, roll in the dirt and grass. Its a constant battle to keep it clean and knot free. Can someone tell me if I shave him down for the summer is it going to take 2 years to grow in fully? His fur is different then my other cockers, his is very thin and silky, my other cockers is much more thick and not as smooth. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• Mocha 3.jpg
    Mocha 3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Mocha 2.jpg
    Mocha 2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Mocha.jpg
    Mocha.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 31
Mocha is beautiful! All of your cockers are. I'm unsure of how long it takes for the coat to grow. Mine are in modified longer cuts, I live in the mountains of So. CA.

I'm not sure either but you're 2 year estimate is probably right. I think you'd get most of the length in 1 year except for the skirt.

What a pretty dog with a gorgeous coat! I commend you for wanting to grow out the coat. I thought I might keep my English Cocker in something approaching breed appropriate coat. Reality set in for me by the time she was a year old. It didn't take me long to figure out that it just didn't work for her or for me. We just finished readying her for summer. We took a bread bag of fur off of her back and flanks with the Mars Coat King--how does a dog that doesn't weigh 25 lbs grow that much fur anyway? We modified our grooming and tried for something that would still let her look like her breed but allow her a run in the woods and nosing through the underbrush without worrying so much about what how much debris we were going to find during the next comb out.

Mocha is beautiful! All of your cockers are. I'm unsure of how long it takes for the coat to grow. Mine are in modified longer cuts, I live in the mountains of So. CA.
Your Pye looks a lot like my Mocha. Both your dogs are beautiful. I just love cockers!

I'm not sure either but you're 2 year estimate is probably right. I think you'd get most of the length in 1 year except for the skirt.
I think your right, he's fur seems to be about 4 inches long, so it's just the skirt that needs more length. I've never let my others grow much more than a year before I cut, but if I can hang in there I'm going to go for 2 years with Mocha just to see. We'll see.

What a pretty dog with a gorgeous coat! I commend you for wanting to grow out the coat. I thought I might keep my English Cocker in something approaching breed appropriate coat. Reality set in for me by the time she was a year old. It didn't take me long to figure out that it just didn't work for her or for me. We just finished readying her for summer. We took a bread bag of fur off of her back and flanks with the Mars Coat King--how does a dog that doesn't weigh 25 lbs grow that much fur anyway? We modified our grooming and tried for something that would still let her look like her breed but allow her a run in the woods and nosing through the underbrush without worrying so much about what how much debris we were going to find during the next comb out.
Your dog is beautiful and makes me wonder if I let Spice our white and chocolate grow his fur if he might look similar. He has allergies so I try to keep his short to help when I need to treat his skin, but he's been doing well this year so maybe I'll let his grow this fall.

My Ki is in a slightly modified show coat. Everything is correct except he is trimmed more on his backside, easier when he isn't pooping on his fur, and his tummy is trimmed but not shaven down for coolness plus Ki has a very full
coat. My handler thought that if we wanted to show Ki again it would take him about four months to be in show coat. Many bitches are cut down when they give birth and I believe it takes about 6 months to have them ready to show.

Even dogs in show coat are trimmed. Their backs are hand stripped, not shaved, and their heads and the tops of their ears are clippers. Their legs and skirts are scissored. If Ki wasn't cut at all he would be a giant puff ball and it would be impossible to tell his front from his back.

Back