hydrolyzed protein

coco_and_april

Hello,

A bit of background: I’ve been cooking for Coco for the last 5 months using BalanceIt recipes and their supplement but she still has an ongoing problem with loose stools or diarrhea. I went to the vet and he has suggested putting her on hydrolyzed protein. I was wondering if anyone here feeds their cocker this type of prescription dog food and how it has worked. I still feel better about making her food because I feel it’s healthier and safer but am wondering if I should give this food a chance. Hearing others experiences would help me get a little perspective since the vet did not say much about it. Thanks.

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Wishing you the best. We have no experience with hydrolyzed protein food. If you try it let us know about your experience.

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
No, I've never tried it. I prefer feeding my dog as close to unprocessed as possible. I homecook also.

coco_and_april

No, I've never tried it. I prefer feeding my dog as close to unprocessed as possible. I homecook also.
Hi Polly. I agree. That’s my line of thinking too. Unprocessed is better. Do your dogs ever have trouble with loose stools or diarrhea with the home cooking? Is that maybe just a normal part of this diet? I new to home cooking, so I’m not sure if it’s normal.

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Hi Polly. I agree. That’s my line of thinking too. Unprocessed is better. Do your dogs ever have trouble with loose stools or diarrhea with the home cooking? Is that maybe just a normal part of this diet? I new to home cooking, so I’m not sure if it’s normal.
No Pye's stools are normal. Do you give her city tap water to drink, or, are you on a well. When we moved to our current home (we live in a National Forest) and to well water for the first time, I had a horrible time getting my dogs used to it, they had diarrhea, I went homeopathic, and, boiled the water before giving it to them. I am wondering if it could be your water.

spicyheat

I add rice to her food to make her poop a little harder when she is having diarrhea. And I stay away from veggies since that makes their poop slightly softer (in our experience).

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
The recipe that I follow calls for 2 cups brown rice to 1 pound of protein. I usually use either ground Turkey, Chicken or beef. To that I add veggies, either fresh or frozen. I make it in my crock pot. I do add spice, usually a little dried basil, parsley etc... I stay away from rosemary and oregano since Pye has had a couple seizures. I'm cooking for only Pye, so I keep it in the freezer and defrost as needed.

coco_and_april

No Pye's stools are normal. Do you give her city tap water to drink, or, are you on a well. When we moved to our current home (we live in a National Forest) and to well water for the first time, I had a horrible time getting my dogs used to it, they had diarrhea, I went homeopathic, and, boiled the water before giving it to them. I am wondering if it could be your water.
Hello Polly,

Thanks for your response. I am trying to give her boiled water now to see if it makes a difference. She was drinking just city water. I hope maybe that could be something that’s linked. Thank you.