I almost have the Hang of it

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Ki has been here for over a month and I think, knock on wood, I almost have the knack of keeping him groomed between appointments. I have had cocker spaniels with full coats before but a black, profusely coated cocker in a full show coat is another matter. I think there is more coat than dog! Robin, how you kept up with so many cockers in show coat at one time is more than I can imagine!

Our routine is three times a week I begin by bathing Ki's tummy to get the pee off (Ki seems to pee on his skirt when he goes to the bathroom.) I put a small amount of shampoo on a scrungie and bath the area and then I rinse it off with a bowl of water and washcloth. I blow dry on warm and then begin to brush. I'm getting better at finding small tangles before they become full blown mats. I'm brushing Ki's legs by using my fingers to hold his leg almost like a bracelet, brushing what's below my hand, then moving my hand up the leg, brushing what's below my fingers, ect. until the leg is finished. I've been using Show Coat on him and it think that helps too. It is surprising how many small mats can on his legs can hide right up next to his skin but I think it helps me to groom his legs this way so I can find them better. Every time I groomm Ki, I groom Farley too so they are both looking pretty spiffy right now.

The other day I was out with one of my friends and she asked me what perfume I was using since she really liked it. I was puzzled since I don't wear perfume. All of a sudden it dawned on me. I sniffed my hand and then I told her I was wearing something called, "Show Coat" and you couldn't buy it in the stores. It had to be ordered from a special catalogue or you might be able to get some from your groomer.

It sounds like you are really getting the hang of it. You will get faster before you know it. I HATE tangles and that is one thing Ellie is excellent at - getting tangles. ;)

The other day I was out with one of my friends and she asked me what perfume I was using since she really liked it. I was puzzled since I don't wear perfume. All of a sudden it dawned on me. I sniffed my hand and then I told her I was wearing something called, "Show Coat" and you couldn't buy it in the stores. It had to be ordered from a special catalogue or you might be able to get some from your groomer.

That made me LOL!

Karen! Yay for you!!! I can't imagine all that coat. I know that when Robin first sent me Stormy, I wanted a longer coat. When we met up, that was as long as I let them grow. Right after we met up, it all came off. I didn't realize that they tangeled so much! But like you said, those coats are beautiful. I loved your quip about show coat! LOLOL..

I bet you're getting all sorts of compliments when you take them for walks. Cockers in full coats are gorgeous but I wouldn't want all that work. You're becoming a pro groomer!

If "Show Coat" smells that good I might wear it to work. :naughty:

I bet that they are gorgeous and do turn a lot of heads when you walk them. Hmmmm, I think I am lacking some pictures of them in my mailbox :p

Back