I tried the full skirt

DAL_818

Owned by
1 cocker
I tried the full skirt on Moose once and it did not work out too good so from then on puppy cut was the norm. Its not that he got into everything but it was the upkeep and the brushing that I didn't like. The puppy cut is easy to maintain and brushing is not every single day. Anyone else got other reasons for puppy cut?

I have Pumpkin with the long skirt. I thought about doing a different cut but she looks so beautiful with the long hair. She likes the attention she gets because of her beautiful black shiny hair:)

I'd say if the dog likes to spend a lot of time getting dirty I'd do a pup cut or if you have A LOT of dogs, give a pup cut; or if the dog is in an environment that's HOT, give a pup cut. Of course your reason is #1 in my book to suggest a pup cut to my cocker customers- easy maintenance!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's me.. easy maintenance, and, I have the time. I do brush daily. But it's just easier. In the winter, I keep jackets on them all the time. We live up high and it's cold. Even Stormy who came from Oklahoma, was cold. So, for that reason I have no skirts on mine, I have their skirts completely off. I keep their ears a little bit shorter than normal also.

I recently tried the full skirt, too, but it's definitely not the right cut for me either. I was brushing her every day (sometimes skipping a day) but she doesn't like being brushed so it was stressful for both of us. She also kept getting sticks, burs, and dirt in her coat from hiking/playing outside/doing her k9 nose work. The coat ended up matting so I think I'm going to shave it and start over, keeping it in a puppy cut this time. It's a beautiful cut but not practical for us.

Tasha 1 was always in a puppy cut, she hated grooming or being brushed. Tasha 2 has a full coat, she loves getting groomed, especially brushed under her neck. Every night she gets brushed, washed and groomed by Gary every Thursday night. She loves to be the center of attention with her looks.

I think skirts are beautiful. I'm just too lazy to groom. :redface: Hoshi is pretty active outdoors too so it wouldn't be easy.

My Pogo has started to be a real putz as he's getting older. He's decided that he won't let me clipper his muzzle. Geesh!
Today I'm going to try a melatonin, and have Vern hold him for me. I have never had any trouble with any of my cockers except him!

My Pogo has started to be a real putz as he's getting older. He's decided that he won't let me clipper his muzzle. Geesh!
Today I'm going to try a melatonin, and have Vern hold him for me. I have never had any trouble with any of my cockers except him!

I'm traveling around the site and found this to be a fun thread. Barney gets a puppy cut every spring but I leave his tail long and just trim the top of his head. I never shave his head completely. I love that long blonde hair of his! Sometimes I twist it all together and he looks like a unicorn! My friends crack up. But seriously, grooming can get real pricey so I've enjoyed becoming a little better at it every time he needs a cut. I use blunt-tip scissors and a wide-tooth comb and of course, tons of patience! His long coat is like a snowball magnet in the winter. He'll be out for 20 minutes and come in with his legs full of little snowballs. It's too funny looking.

Does anyone here use Mane N' Tale products? I have and I love the results but am always open to new suggestions.

A unicorn cocker! That would be a site to see. I think I've gone as far as a mohawk. I haven't used Mane N' Tale. Maybe Robin knows of it.

Polly is it possible that Pogo has a sore tooth? A while back, Hannah too started fighting me when I tryed washing or grooming her face, not usual for her at all and then on a routine visit to the vet he found a cracked tooth...poor baby girl when I grasped her muzzle it moved the tooth and hurt her. Since we had it removed she doesn't fight me any more.

DJ, great idea, but, last month I had my vet check his teeth.. he's fine. My vet thinks it's because he has such deep lipfolds, I may have just nicked him, he's fussy with grooming, always has been. I can now tip his nails, but, I need to give him melatonin and a peanut butter jar LOL.. I didn't realize, but, my puppy is an old geezer now! We have had him 7 years this last august!

We tried sedating Gabby in the past for grooming. Let's just say he wasn't a nice drunk. :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

we do sedate chase lightly when he goes to get groomed,,,he is a rescue and who knows what happen in his past. Our groomer is great with him,,,when she first met him,,,he was great until he seen the clippers,,,then the S**T ( sorry) hit the fan. And this wonderful , wonderful groomer , spent all afternoon with him,(cause she didnt want him to leave right after flipping out, wanted him to leave on a good note) she discussed options with me,,,I had already taken him to the vet,,to be checked out,,,bloodwork and so on,,,everything was good,,,the vet had told me that they suggested totally knocking him out EVERYTIME I got him groomed,,,,,well,,,not only did I not want the cost of that,,,I also didnt feel that would be very healthy for him. So the very nice groomer,,,sugguested giving a mild sed. and we take it slow,,,with the understanding that I work with him at home,,,putting the clippers close turning them on,,treating,,,I am sure you guys now the drill,,,,and in time,,,,we are reducing the amount of drug,,,,,and he loves her,,,well I LOVE her too :),,,,he got groomed today,,,and he looks great,,,,:)IMG_0009 (3).jpg

Last edited:
After having to deal with show coats I find a short cut sooooo much easier on the dogs and me. I don't think they are in a puppy cut tho, maybe a litlle longer, they do have a short skirt. Also I have the armpits shaved, which makes it much easier.

A unicorn cocker! That would be a site to see. I think I've gone as far as a mohawk. I haven't used Mane N' Tale. Maybe Robin knows of it.

Haha! Here's the unicorn dog. What a face huh?

DSC02562.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 43
we do sedate chase lightly when he goes to get groomed,,,he is a rescue and who knows what happen in his past. Our groomer is great with him,,,when she first met him,,,he was great until he seen the clippers,,,then the S**T ( sorry) hit the fan. And this wonderful , wonderful groomer , spent all afternoon with him,(cause she didnt want him to leave right after flipping out, wanted him to leave on a good note) she discussed options with me,,,I had already taken him to the vet,,to be checked out,,,bloodwork and so on,,,everything was good,,,the vet had told me that they suggested totally knocking him out EVERYTIME I got him groomed,,,,,well,,,not only did I not want the cost of that,,,I also didnt feel that would be very healthy for him. So the very nice groomer,,,sugguested giving a mild sed. and we take it slow,,,with the understanding that I work with him at home,,,putting the clippers close turning them on,,treating,,,I am sure you guys now the drill,,,,and in time,,,,we are reducing the amount of drug,,,,,and he loves her,,,well I LOVE her too :),,,,he got groomed today,,,and he looks great,,,,:)View attachment 6019

Your groomer sounds awesome, I need a groomer like that!

S and C Mom, Nice picture of your two.

Barney's mom, The words cow lick come to mind :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Back