In the News: Cocker Saves Owner in Burning Home

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
This poor woman was saved by her cocker spaniel, Rodie. I didn't include the picture of her home burnt down to the ground. Rodie, a retired champion, competed in Westminster.

Author: Brandie Kessler
2/2/2009
http://www.pottstownmercury.com/articles/2009/02/02/news/srv0000004592416.txt

WARWICK, Pa — The former Owen J. Roberts School District superintendent said it was her award-winning dog's action that saved her life when her Victoria Chase Drive home was engulfed in flames Jan. 18.

Standing outside in the bitter cold, Karen Florentine looked over the charred remains of the home she shared with her beloved dogs. It wasn't until recently that one of her most successful show dogs, Roadie, who has made several appearances at the Westminster Kennel Club and has garnered a number of other accolades, including finishing 2007 as the No. 1 English Cocker Spaniel in the country, came home to live with her.

Roadie retired a true champion. But it wasn't until after his retirement that Roadie would make perhaps his greatest contribution to Florentine: saving her life.

"We were just at home. It was a Sunday, the Eagles game was on that Sunday," Florentine said. "I went to bed early."

In addition to Roadie, Florentine, who currently serves as the director of human relations for Chester County, also has four young English Cocker Spaniels. However, all of the dogs other than Roadie must sleep in crates because of their young age.

Roadie, however, was allowed a bit more room to roam, including Florentine's bedroom.

Settling down for bed, Florentine said Roadie became restless.

"He just kept bothering me," she said. "He was licking my face and crying."

She said tried to get him to settle down.

"Normally you yell at him and he'll settle down," she said. But he wouldn't let up.

Florentine finally figured he needed to go outside.

"I rolled over and saw the whole front of my house like floodlights outside," she said, noting that it was flames illuminating the whole front of her home.

The flames were right outside her home, threatening to make their way inside any minute, but none of the smoke alarms had gone off warning Florentine of the fire because it hadn't yet broken through the walls.

Florentine immediately went into action, calling 911 and preparing to move a car out of the garage so she had someplace to put the dogs that frigid night.

She was able to back a car out of the garage and get the dogs out, but in just a matter of minutes the flames did break their way inside, and immediately began engulfing the home.

Firefighters received the fire call at 11:34 p.m. and 50 to 60 firefighters from Ridge, Twin Valley, Norco, Ludwig's Corner, Spring City and Kimberton fire companies from Chester County and Linfield Fire Company of Montgomery County and Churchtown Fire Company of Lancaster County responded.

Fire companies had to truck the water in tankers into the remote area where Florentine's home was located because there were no hydrants. Ridge Fire Company Chief Joel McMillan estimated the cost of damage to Florentine's home at $750,000 for the home and contents.

Florentine said she realized once outside that she'd forgotten her cell phone inside. Upon attempting to re-enter the home, she realized that the flames had reached too far, and her life was worth more than a cell phone.

Florentine made her way to a neighbor's, where she watched the fire overtake her residence.

"It was just about 20, 25 minutes that the second floor caved in onto the first floor," Florentine said of the strength of the fire. "Everyone said it burned really fast."

It was only after Florentine was watching the fire from a distance that she realized what had happened.

Roadie had saved her life and the lives of her other dogs.

"When I left my house, I truly did not believe it was going to burn to the ground," she said. "All of a sudden you realize when you see it that you would have never gotten out."

"It was all him," she said of Roadie saving the day. "I truly believe he saved our lives."

In addition to her gratitude to Roadie, Florentine said she definitely believes that things happen for a reason, as the newly retired Roadie hadn't been home a month when he became a lifesaver.

"He's been living in Florida for two years," she said, referencing his career as a show dog. "He actually came home about three weeks ago. Talk about timing.

"Things happen for a reason, I really do (believe that) in this case," she said. "He could have stayed down in Florida until Westminster, which is next week, but I had him come home."

Florentine expressed the pride she has for Roadie, noting how successful a show dog he's been, "and to come home three weeks later and do this..." she said.

Florentine said she doesn't know whether she will rebuild her home, which was a "total loss" after the fire. But until she makes that decision she will be staying in a rental property, and will be forever grateful for her canine friend, Roadie.

"I would have never gotten up if it weren't for him," she said.

Oh man... thats only about 10 minutes from where I live. Warwick is really a nice area too. Very quiet and lots of woodlands. Thank God they all got out of there ok.

Oh my goodness! People don't seem to think that Cockers can be heros, but they truly can.

I had two instances where my cockers came to my rescue.

When we lived in Orange, New Jersey, we had a black cocker with buff spots and we called him "Patches". The place we lived in was a converted mansion with 5 apartments. I was in the kitchen of our ground floor apartment making dinner with my back to the wall and didn't notice that the appliance cart with a plug on it had shorted out and was burning at the bottom. Patches started to bark and whine which was not like him. I still didn't turn around because I was busy and just yelled "quiet". When he still kept barking I turned around to see the cart and part of the wall in flames. It was very quiet and I didn't smell anything.

I grabbed a container of flour and dumped it on the fire, then took a towel and pulled the plug out of the wall. The fire was out and there was minimal damage to the wall, but it would have been a different outcome if Patches hadn't barked to warn me.

The next time we had a problem was several years later when we bought our house in Maplewood, New Jersey. The house needed some work, but the price was right. The stove in the kitchen was old and needed replacement, but we thought it would last until we did the kitchen over. One evening while making dinner, I turned the oven on to warm it up and was working at the sink with the water running. Our red cocker, Odie, was in the kitchen with me. He started barking up a storm and when I turned around to see what he wanted, I saw the stove was fully engulfed in flames. I yelled for my husband, but he could not get into the kitchen because the flames from the stove were going across the doorway. I got Odie and ran out the back door and my husband called 911 from the living room. The fire department said if it had gone on another 2 minutes, it would have gotten into the walls.

I truly belive that Cockers can be heros!

That's great to hear having heroic cockers in your family. :luv: Thanks for sharing.

Wow Carol! I don't think you ever shared those stories before! Cockers are little wonders aren't they!

Back