In the News: Doctor Adopts Patient's Cocker

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
What happens when you unexpectedly find yourself in the hospital and there's no one to care for your pet? I've seen patients worry and lament over pets left alone in an empty home. They worry who will feed them, who will let them out to relieve themselves, and what will happen to them. It worries me and apparently other hospital staff too. This one's a happy ending:

Author: KELLY ONANIAN
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090118/NEWS/901180366
1/18/2009

DARTMOUTH - Cardiologist Jonathan Bier and his wife, pediatrician Jo-Ann Bier, know a lot about the human heart, but they might not realize that their hearts are much bigger than most.

Recently, when one of Dr. Bier's elderly patients became too ill to care for her 8-year-old cocker spaniel Alexi, his family took the pooch right in.

"I was so impressed, I thought people need to hear this," said veterinarian Dr. Gerald Pietsch, who had been caring and housing Alexi for several weeks at Anchor Animal Hospital, where the dog's owner had long been taking him.

Dr. Pietsch said the Biers' act of kindness and compassion for Alexi is unparalleled to anything he has heard in his 37 years of practice, given Alexi's own health problems.

"For the family and the dog, it was love at first sight, but Alexi has problems. The average person would say, 'Gosh, I'd really like to help this animal, but I can't'," Dr. Pietsch said.

"He has skin, ear and eye problems and he's on three medications: One he must have three times a day, another twice a day, another once a day.

"He also requires frequent baths, a very high-maintenance dog that requires a lot of work. It's a big burden, and to take on this responsibility is remarkable."

Dr. Jo-Ann Bier said helping dogs like Alexi is something her husband and three children, Ben, Rachel and Rebecca, are used to.

They own two rescued dogs: a springer spaniel/mix, Lizzie, and another mix, Indy.

"We also had another part cocker spaniel that passed away this summer, and when my husband mentioned he had an ill patient who kept talking about her dog, a cute cocker that had problems, I thought, 'Perfect for me.' When we saw Alexi, he reminded us of our last dog. We've just always rescued, taken care of dogs. It's not something we do on purpose, but we're used to it," Dr. Jo-Ann Bier said.

Dr. Pietsch said his staff at Anchor Animal Hospital will miss Alexi, who spent a number of weeks there.

Alexi was so adored there that vet-technician Jocelyn Turner took Alexi to visit his owner in the hospital on Thanksgiving and even brought him home with her a few times.

"Alexi's original owner is a very sweet lady who really loved her dog, and Alexi is a great dog, a real sweetheart," Ms. Turner said.

"It broke my heart he was with us for so long, so I took him home with me and he got along great with my German shepherd and little cat. We were quite the family."

Meantime, Dr. Jo-Ann Bier said it took Alexi no time to settle into his new home, but the circumstances had her teen daughter, Rebecca doing a little extra thinking.

"It's like Alexi's lived here forever. Everybody's fine, but (Rebecca) said to me, 'I'm going to make sure nursing homes start accepting dogs, because it's sad for a person who's had a dog so long to have to leave them.'"

Attachments

• alexi.jpg
    alexi.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 43
We are on a preferred providers list for an attorney who is appointed guardian for the weak and the elderly if they are hospitalized...Since we have a boarding kennel on our home property we have the room and the skills to properly take care of people's dogs. We are also on 'call' for our clients who are expecting babies...they drop off the pooch on the way to the hospital! My cell is listed on our web site for emergencies. We have picked up dogs from folks homes as well.

We often have taken pictures of the pets and emailed them to family members to take to the hospitalized person.

We recently delivered one of our 'guests' to her owners new digs at a Senior Sanctuary where the residents are allowed to have a pet....

Manuel will attest to the IMPORTANCE of having an advance directive in the event of an emergency! That means a skilled care giver, one that will be able to handle your pet. I can't tell you how many people leave their pets in the hands of uninformed who have actually lost their friends or family members dog or not noticed an ill animal.

Gina, that's cool! I didn't even know such a list existed. I think it's a fabulous idea . . . because sometimes things happen unexpectedly, and pre-arranged care isn't there. For people like us here, I would imagine most (if not all) have plans for our pets in case something happens to us. But for the general public, that might not always be a consideration.

Manuel, that's an uplifting story - thanks for sharing it!

Gina, that's cool! I didn't even know such a list existed. I think it's a fabulous idea . . . because sometimes things happen unexpectedly, and pre-arranged care isn't there. For people like us here, I would imagine most (if not all) have plans for our pets in case something happens to us. But for the general public, that might not always be a consideration.

Manuel, that's an uplifting story - thanks for sharing it!

Well there are 'local' lists too...for instance in the case of a fire or catastrophic loss of housing for residents in a particular area...like last year there was an apartment building that caught fire and was a total loss. The residents who had pets, had no place to go to...so our name is on a list for community emergencies where folks can take their pets in a situation like that and take care of their own needs without having to worry about the dogs or cats...

The attorney we work with took it up himself to have us as a supplier for his clients...We actually will do the animal pick up...the attorney pays us and then in the last case we placed one dog with a foster family and the older of the two pets went into the care facility with its owner. It really worked out well.

That sounds like a great service and adds to your marketability. Most people don't make plans for their pets until it's too late. Speaking with an attorney and putting instructions down on paper is a great idea. BTW, a nurse I worked with started her own pet sitting service. She had herself bonded and insured and I think it was in your area. I'm not sure if she still does it.

What a wonderful story...

and Gina what a wonderful service you provide.

When my mom & dad first moved into the retirement community where they live it was advised that they list a vet, er vet and who would be available to take care of their little boston in the event that something happen to mom or dad. My dad was disabled when mom had her knee replaced this last summer & the hospitality committee made up a roster of who was walking the dog in the while she was recouperating (and one of us were not available)...now that dad has passed it is even more important for them to have that info.

Gina!
How wonderful! What a wonderful idea! I was blessed with the care of my Mother for over 7 years, when she finally had to go into a care facility that had 24 hour nursing, my sister and I took her dog, a little big mouthed poodle named violet. We were lucky, we had plans for my Mom's animal. But like you said, many times animals end up the loosers when something happens to their owners.

A pet like Violet or Baby, my mothers first poodle, made all the difference in her quality of life. We were the ones who took care of them, but, they gave my Mom unconditional love when she needed it most.

The picture below is of My Mom and Baby ready for a walk. It was very hot that summer and I always had Baby wear boots because the sidewalk hurt his feet. He wore a sunvisor also because he was almost blind from diabetes.

Last edited:
How sweet is that :)

I too am a believer that a pet enhances everyone's life. Young or Old. I think all kids should be raised with a pet, it teaches them kindness, empathy and responsibility of caring for something that is more helpless than themselves...

Plus the kids are healthier!

I just had a conversation with a business associate whose Father lost his Golden 7 years ago. He is 77 now and somewhat depressed. Our discussion was along the lines that taking care of a dependant animal somehow gives older folks especially a sense of purpose, not to mention the companionship. He is considering another pet for his Dad.

I know how lost I am when I don't have dogs to take care of!

Gina
How true. I can't imagine my life without my dogs in it. I've lost my cats now, and promised myself not to have any more up here in the forest because if they get outside, it's just not safe for them out here. But, I sure love my dogs!

Yes what a nice story Manuel.
NIce to read things that are nice as there is so much that is not happening to
animals it seems in our neck of the woods lately on the news :crybaby:

I also Gina did not know there was such a list. Nice of you to do this forsure.

My daughter several years back worked in a Pet Store part time.
There was a old man that came in there with his daugher and was dieing
with Cancer. He knew my daughter liked birds,he had a big white Cockatoo
and it was a feather picker so he knew no one would want him when he passed away.
My daughter assured him that she would take (LUKE) was his name and give him a good home if he would like her to have him.
The rest of the story is (its been 10 years now and LUKE is still picking his feathers more than ever but has a home till his day comes.

((Any one make bird coats?)) this bird is in badly need of one forsure.
THe Vet is a bird person his self that my daughter goes to and says nothing you can do to get LUKE to stop this fosure.

Anita

Back