Intro but need help

Rocky Agility

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi were new to this forum. My boyfriend (Chris) and I (Nicole) have a 2 year old American Cocker Spaniel boy(Rocky).

We got introduced to this forum by meeting some very nice people at the Seal beach dog park yesterday.

We just have a few questions for you guys.

1) We have spent a fortune on Rocky's ear infection and now yeast infection. We have gone to three different vets but have not found one we truly like or trust or fixed the problem. Any recommendations for good vets. We live in Anaheim, but are willing to drive for a good vet.

2) Also lately he has been biting his feet and scratching his lips so hard he is starting to bleed. Some people have recommended Atopica and wanted to know your take on it before we buy it?

http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/ProductPages/Product.aspx?pid=11767

3) While were at it any good groomers? but the main help we need is for his ears and his scratching. Were not sure how to attack this problem effectively without racking up another $400 vet bill that doesn't solve the problem permanently.

We think that this latest one came back because we used an ear cleanser that has water. This would be bad for yeast infection from what we know. Thanks for all your help ahead of time and look forward to meeting more of you guys.

There are many causes for ear problems, and unfortunately cockers are prone to them, and allergies. The first thing I would do is make sure his diet is free from grains and all the junk that goes into most commercial brands. Many cockers are allergic to grains, so a good diet is just one way to help. What are you feedling him?

If Dylan has an ear infection he will sometimes scratch and chew on his feet. I guess he feels uncomfortable but isn't sure what it is that's bothering him.

Welcome Chris and Nicole! There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a 2nd opinion. If you don't feel your current vet is handling the situation, find one you're comfortable with. I would ask your friends and co-workers for recommendations. You may have to travel further for a vet who meets your needs. The intense scratching sounds like a dermatitis. You'll have to get that diagnosed (i.e. allergies, infection). A change in diet as Mike suggests is a good start and something you can try own your own. I suspect the antibiotic is prescription only. It may very well be the medication Rocky needs but let a veterinarian make that clinical judgment. You could even suggest it to your vet and get his/her opinion why is should or shouldn't be used. I'd also ask your friends and co-workers for groomer recommendations.

Welcome Nicole and Chris, and Rocky too!

You've already gotten lots of good advice. I just wanted to add that the Blue Power Ear Treatment is easy and inexpensive to make, and it can be very effective at treating and preventing ear infections. You can find the recipe and directions for use at http://www.itsfortheanimals.com

Hello Chris Nichole and Rocky!
This is a wonderful new forum! Please jump in with both feet and we would all love to get to know you and Rocky. Pictures please! As Kelly said, the blue power is wonderful. I, like most of us here have used it for years as part of our everyday grooming routine.

Good luck with finding ways around Rocky's problems. As Mike and Manuel and Kelly have said, food is very important when it comes to cockers and their allergies. We homecook here.. I have 4 cockers.

Puppy Stew is our standby.

These links are from the Cockers In Need Website, from Linny who is a great friend and a member of this forum

http://www.cockersinneed.com/puppystew.html

I use the blue power also, Kelly did provide a link to that..

As to grooming, I do that myself. Others will chime in with groomer information etc..

Also check out Kelly's wonderful posts on Grooming, and other great info such as housetraining. They are so informative.

Hi,

I usually sing the praises of Blue Power, we've been using it for about 11 years now on over 100 cockers.

BUT, I also want to point out that sometimes it's a really good idea for a vet to do a culture & sensitivity test (C&S). This way, you can find out which bacteria it is - and treat it correctly.

And, I do really believe that cockers do much better on certain foods than others. I don't believe in prescription diets, as they have too much crap in there, and the dogs don't even like it. I would start with a simple diet and see how that goes for a bit. Only add one new thing at a time.

What food are you feeding? Typically, the pet food section in the supermarket doesn't have any decent foods. We've cleaned up so many nasty coats and ears and skin problems just from changing their diet to something without wheat, BHA, BHT, high copper, ethoxaquin, etc.

There are so many wonderful new healthy diets on the market now, that I'm sure there is something that could help. Try a feed store if you have one local and ask a few questions. The people that work there are usually very good at recommending something.

Back