Keeps peeing in the house

Angel Lewis

Owned by
1 cocker
Gizmo keeps peeing in the house. He always let's us know when he has to go. I know this has to be rebellious. I had just let him out. He gone pee and poop. Came in to brush my teeth it was not 15 mins later right in front of me he lifted his legs up and peed.

I was ticked. When we first got him here and there for the 1st week and he was fine. I noticed that after they get attention, fed, played with etc and we stop to do our thing he would lift his leg up and pee. He ruined a pair of DJ's shoes a brand new pair. We moved furnitures around and I was cleaning our buffet and opened the door there was very old dry pee in the bottom shelf. It stunk so bad that I almost passed out.

We watched his behavior, if he gets attention all day he does not lift his leg up to pee, he let's us know.

Now I am asking you what can I do to stop this erratic behavior. He shows no discomfort, no crying while peeing or always have to pee.

First, make sure Gizmo doesn't have a bladder infection. You can have the vet check him out just to be sure. Next, you want to correct his behavior right there and then. Kelly has mentioned tethering. You want to tether Gizmo (leash him) in the house (to you). If he has any ideas about peeing, you'll see him do it and correct him. Take him out immediately, let him pee then reward him when he does. Hoshi loves his potty breaks because he gets ham treats. Basically, you're potty training him starting from scratch. [highlight]Don't let anyone punish him if he has an accident--he won't learn from it and it will only worsen the problem[/highlight]. This handout from the Dumb Friends League explains everything I've mentioned in detail: Re-Housetraining Your Adult Dog

Last edited:
Dogs really do NOT potty in the house on purpose - even though it might seem that way. It means that they don't understand the requirements of pottying inside versus outside. Gizmo obviously understands that pottying outside is a good thing, but he doesn't understand that going inside is a bad thing.

Manuel's handout is a good one, and I endorse tethering or crating when 100% supervision isn't possible. They always seem to know the instant we're not looking and use that opportunity.

They always seem to know the instant we're not looking and use that opportunity

Don't they just though? I have a friend who never quite potty trains her dogs...she always has had male dogs. She use to bring them to my house but when I found they were peeing in the house (behind the chair she was sitting in, with the back door open two feet away!!!) I asked her to either leave them home or put a belly band on them when they were here. Well that insulted her and so she leaves them home and very seldom comes here anymore.

The advise given by Manuel and Kelly is good...I know it is a pain but tethering really works. I had a "visiter" here for about 2 months that my dad found at a truck stop who I think had never been in a house. It took me most of those two months to house train him using this method but he had less accidents in my house than my friends two "house-trained" guys did.

Also where ever you find evidence of his marking use an emzyne based cleanor and it might help him from finding it again and remarking.

Not a bad Idea with the tethering. That will help my Father in law if he is down and out. He has very bad ostio arthritis in his back. That way he don't jump up searching for him or something. We have the living room, dinning room and most of the rooms upstairs doors closed. So he is limited to area until it is nipped in the butt. He knows he was wrong, he ran right to his crate in our bedroom after I had let him out.

I came in to get ready for bed, he sat way back of the crate eye balling me. When I got up he was all sympathetic to me.

I am going to look into that. This is one of the reasons why I don't like males much. My Isaac was kinda like that and he had no infection or any bladder issues. Gizmo would cry and whimper to let us know he has to go out. The second he makes a peep he goes out. They are let out about every 2 hours.

I have always had rescues.. adult dogs. No matter what is said, they have gone in the house. The only exception is Stormy, who of course is perfectly trained, coming from Robin. I have always used the tether method, always.. it works. Also a good enzyme cleaner is absolutely necessary. Getting the smell out is very important.

I had to laugh! One time when it was raining really hard, Stormy put his head out the doggy door, and peed on the door! I had to laugh so hard! :lol:

Dogs knowing that they've done wrong is also a myth (can you tell I spend ALL of my spare time learning about dog behavior??? LOL). When dogs appear guilty, they are usually reacting to our emotions and just trying to appease us. My dogs have run into the kennel when I've found a mess they've made . . . but I honestly think it's because I'm upset, and that's their way of dealing with it, whether they've made the mess or not.

Angel, if Gizmo continues to have issues that are not medically related, then you might want to consider investing in some belly bands . . . at least then if Gizmo pees, it's not on your floor/furniture/etc. I line my belly bands with Depends pads, so the dogs aren't wet all the time.

Boys CAN be taught not to mark in the house, with consistency and patience. Remember, the accidents are usually OUR fault, not theirs. It means we haven't been clear enough in explaining what we expect of them.

I did the tethering with Riley and I swear he had the fastest leg in the West. I would look down and he would be standing right next to me marking! Neutering helped as did patience and an enzyme cleaner. I must say that Riley is my only failure in life. He is not 100% potty trained as every other dog I have ever had has been. DJ I am hanging my head in shame :redface:

Riley does absolutely fine if someone is home, even if no one is in the house and he can hear them in the garage. If he is home alone, even with Dylan, Riley begins to mark. We have found that it isn't a housebreaking thing but a security thing. If no one is home, we crate Riley. He is much happier left in his crate than being free in the house with no one home.

Karen, Farley is no different . . . totally clean when people are home (even if we make him wait for WAY too long, by accident) . . . marks when nobody's home. So he's crated when we're out, and that works for all of us.

I am going to make my own belly bands and hit the dollar store for the depends that way there is no mess in the house. I know sometimes my FIL falls a sleep for a cat nap while we are at work or out. Having the Belly Bands will help him and us.

He is never out of my eye sight unless he had run out of the room when one of us opens the door not realizing it. Now we have a gate up in case we need to leave the room we can just move the gate.

Thank you for all of your quick replies. I will put the belly bands on my list to do this weekend. I got plenty of materials to work with.

I pee pee in howse:-( mamma not hawpy I pee pee in howse. I tell mamma I sowwie and gib kissies.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300766590.766636.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300766590.766636.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 55
I must say that Riley is my only failure in life. He is not 100% potty trained as every other dog I have ever had has been. DJ I am hanging my head in shame :redface:

Riley does absolutely fine if someone is home, even if no one is in the house and he can hear them in the garage. If he is home alone, even with Dylan, Riley begins to mark. We have found that it isn't a housebreaking thing but a security thing. If no one is home, we crate Riley. He is much happier left in his crate than being free in the house with no one home.

Don't hang your head Karen, she had these dogs from puppies...she has never completely potty trained them,they would lift their legs right infront of her...this was not marking but really peeing. The Basset even pooped behind her chair at the dining room table when we were having dinner one evening.

Marking when you are not home is a completely differant thing.

Hubby and I are going to rent a rug doctor again to rug shampoo the whole house again and our couch cause he had an excitement pee on our couch.

Has he been crated before? That might be an option when you can't watch him.

He loves his crate, I have told my father in law that if he cannot tether him while he has to do things just put him in the crate for a bit. He can manage.

Sure enough Sam peed in our bedroom because she had to go bad. lol can't win. Hubby woke up to go use the bathroom because of his kidney problem and when he came back Sam started peeing so he woke me up to clean it up. Ugh glad she did it now not after rug shampooing.

One of my old admins had health problems and she had her cockers go on pads inside.

Our former neighbors did not believe in crating (new dog owners :) ) so they used the potty pads in the kitchen where they had vinyl floor. They had some accidents in other areas of the house until the dogs got the idea but after that they swore by them.

Any old pee in the house will make your dog mark. Heck, even a female dog with a UTI can make your dog mark. Needs to be cleaned with an enzyme cleaner and not something with ammonia. Natures miracle helps.

Does FIL live there? Could this be causing some stress and possible behavior issues? Dogs have no idea why a person is flipping out and yelling. All they know is that you (or hubby) is upset and they are too now. Dogs don't pee to piss you off.

Back