Kelly & Jack Jack

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Kelly
I knew you were concerned with Jack Jack's coat when you got back from your vacation.
Tell us what you did about the matts and how it worked out for you. :D

Okay, I just typed out a nice, long reply and then it vanished. Sigh.

Yes, I was very concerned about Jack Jack's coat when I got home from Toronto. He normally gets bathed every week (at least every 10 days, but I don't usually stretch it out that long), and this time it was going to be pretty close to three weeks between baths. When I got home, I found that he had the normal armpit mats, but he had a HUGE area of matting around his penis, and it was tight matting. I posted on my Facebook asking for advice and got all kinds of replies. I also spoke with my handler about it. I was very concerned about it being painful and about him losing too much coat to be shown this year.

In the end, here's what I did:

I bathed him using Coat Handler shampoo. Those of you that know me well know that I don't like Coat Handler products, but I've found that their shampoo is good for stripping products, etc, out of the coat. I paid extra attention to the matted areas, ensuring they were clean.

I conditioned him using Pantene Unbreakable Lengths conditioner, and let it sit for about 5 minutes before rinsing.

I took him to my grooming area and put Cowboy Magic into his matted areas and let that sit (it's a detangling product). As I was blowing him out, I used Nature's Specialties Quicker Slicker on the mats (it's a spray).

He only ended up taking about 10 minutes longer than usual, and his coat still looks good and thick enough for showing.

Awwww glad he didn't need a demattimg tool. I love the cowdog magic and I use it in their coats after a bath. It smells good and makes em Shiny.

I don't use de- matting tools on show dogs, because they're hard on the coat. With Jack, I want to preserve coat, not pull it out. Thank goodness he has relatively decent hair. If it were one of the other two dogs, I'd have shaved them bald!

I'm glad everything went well Kelly for you and Jack Jack. I know that sometimes Robin uses Pantene conditioner. I have been thinking of getting some for my crew. I still like Crown Royale, I love the smell.

kelly said:
Okay, I just typed out a nice, long reply and then it vanished. Sigh.

I think it's confusing that there are two reply buttons when your typing your message. That "Reply to Thread" button should be hidden if you're typing a message so you don't click it accidently. Kelly, I use Notepad to type out my message then I paste it to the forum. I can disable the Quick Reply box and that should solve that problem.

I just shave their pits. I'll try to
dematt a few areas, but I hate doing it.

I think it's confusing that there are two reply buttons when your typing your message. That "Reply to Thread" button should be hidden if you're typing a message so you don't click it accidently. Kelly, I use Notepad to type out my message then I paste it to the forum. I can disable the Quick Reply box and that should solve that problem.

Good idea Manuel! I don't know how many times I loose a message.

Linny I do to too two, I guess Kelly will also once JackJack has his title.

My girls have shaved pits too...Hannah especially seems to mat there...the white part of her coat seems to be really cottony and matts easily there. Maggie hardly ever gets a matt but then I don't keep my girls in that long of a coat.

Whew, a lot of work but it seems that it worked out well. Glad that you were able to save his coat for the ring.

Did you use the CB magic diluted on the matt or straight on? I used it OK on Hannah but it seemed to make Zoe's coat greasy and I wondered if I diluted it more on Hannah.

I didn't dilute the Cowboy Magic at all . . . and his coat does look a bit greasy in the area in front of his penis, because I used so much of it. But for one week, I can live with it!

I don't shave armpits . . . I just keep my retired dogs in shorter trims. I used to shave Farley's armpits when he was in coat, and he just ended up matting more from having hair of different lengths. I find all of the hair the same length is better for me. It's the same reason I don't use dematting tools . . . they break and cut the hair into different lengths.

I'm just very relieved that he has most of his hair left . . . I'd hate to wait another year to finish him when he just needs two points!

Here's a bad iPhone picture of Jack Jack from the side - plenty of hair :)

18414121-1990-c53e.jpg

I am using Notepad to see if it works. Should be much easier and you wont loose the message.

WOW it did work. The first part of this I did on Notepad and I did not lose the message. And I think that I have more options as far as fonts go. I might lose this message several times. In this edit mode I have a hard time.

Last edited:
Wow this old thread brings back memories ^_^
Especially since Jack Jack finished and is now a champion
and is sporting a nice short cut so he can be more active with Kelly:)

Back