Merlin Barfing

sab3mmom

Owned by
2 cockers
I have some thoughts on this and was wondering what you guys think. I bought some nylabones at Wally World last week and all my boys had the same chewy but Merlin is the only one barfing. He is the only one who also ate some of the nylabone. Anyway, he's been barfing ever since so ALL those toys are in the trash. BUT - noticing one thing. He's had a month of just laying around and spending a lotta time in my lap - sensitive little guy. I've finally gotten to the point that I take him out and we play ball, he gets out in the back yard, no more coddling kinda thing. Running and being the 2 year old he has a right to be. Am thinking maybe his little tummy cannot handle being active after a meal? He does not barf during the day when I go to work. Only at night or after a good romp in the evening. Thoughts?

yeah, sometimes nylabones can do this. I would just give him some sticky white rice or something easy for dinner, even cottage cheese.

the thing about barf is, you never know if someone barfed earlier, cause other dogs might decide to help you clean it up and eat it. Gross huh....

Rule of thumb is no running after a meal. It can cause bloat. Run before dinner, and a quick outside after dinner for potties.

Bloat was what I was thinking. Could maybe be why he's so dang skinny? I know...I know, he's 23 pounds and that's a good weight for a Cockery Spaniel but I don't care for the knobblies on his spine and his hips at all. I want a healthy layer of fat and muscles already! He has no muscle to speak of but the potential is sure there for him to become a gorgeous healthy pooch. I will restrict him from too much exercise for a while longer especially after a meal. He barfed again this morning but it was bile only. Breakfast stayed down but Saturday is my couch potato day so he slept most of the day too! Merlin's a hyper little dude but he's good for just laying in my arms for chill time.

Hoshi barfed once after a walk. His idea of walk is being a spaz and choking himself. That morning I fed him a cup of kibble. Now I feed him 1/2 cup then he can have more after the walk.

Sharon I bet it was the nylabones. And, like Linny and Manuel said, I have seen mine barf a little after a long walk, or, if the food was to hot, many reasons.. I'm sure you will figure it out.

No more barfing so far. I'm making him rest some after eating. He's just too skinny to be barfing up everything I feed him! No more of that particular nylabone either. He had the end chewed off in no time!

We have had dogs barf after chewing on a nylabone when they were younger. They were the puppy nylabones - never bought that kind again. I also won't buy the ones they are supposed to eat.

My rule is no playing for one hour after eating. Not exactly popular with Ellie, but she is getting used to it.;)

Back