rescue Microchip Dilemna!

sab3mmom

Owned by
2 cockers
or however you spell it! Let us just suppose you just adopted a little homeless waif and you don't know if they're chipped but you want them chipped. Let us suppose your vet finds out the little waif has an Avid but you want the benefits of a Home Again. Now the pooch is implanted TWICE! Which chip rules? What if the pooch was registered to previous owners as Home Again but you now adopted him. How to get him released and re-registered to you?

eh,

find out from rescue more about the chip. Did they do it? Do they have an owner surrender form?

You register your new one in your name. You can also register the old one in your name too, but double check with FL. Rescue first

I think chips would serve as histories with dates. The most current would probably be valid.

eh,

find out from rescue more about the chip. Did they do it? Do they have an owner surrender form?

You register your new one in your name. You can also register the old one in your name too, but double check with FL. Rescue first

Not Merlin FM. I have all his docs and chip info. This converse started at lunch yesterday with a co-worker who adopted not long ago from HS I think and I had no answers for her. I will give her your advice!

or however you spell it! Let us just suppose you just adopted a little homeless waif and you don't know if they're chipped but you want them chipped. Let us suppose your vet finds out the little waif has an Avid but you want the benefits of a Home Again. Now the pooch is implanted TWICE! Which chip rules? What if the pooch was registered to previous owners as Home Again but you now adopted him. How to get him released and re-registered to you?

What is the difference between AVID and HOME AGAIN over the other?

They both have 24 hour retrieval numbers and that is all I am concerned about.

MOST vets have UNIVERSAL scanners that read BOTH chips and it will tell them the manufacturer...You can contact Home Again and tell them the dog was a surrender and fax them the paperwork. Then you can change the owner on the dog if you own him. I used to use Home Again but now I only use AVID.

I have a scanner here that reads all chips. All dogs get scanned.

When we do a chip, I am always secondary when we adopt out a dog.

All my crew have AVID with the exception of Stormy, he has AKC.. my vet's universal scanner couldnt read it... they wern't sure he had a chip, I insisted he did so they xrayed him, got the number that way and called AKC.. my vet wanted to be sure because they thought he was such a lovely boy. My vets buying a new scanner, it' will be here this month.. They want me to bring him in to see if they can read it then, if not I think they want to re-chip him.. afraid that if they can't read it maybe the pounds or other vets won't be able to also.. ;)

All my crew have AVID with the exception of Stormy, he has AKC.. my vet's universal scanner couldnt read it... they wern't sure he had a chip, I insisted he did so they xrayed him, got the number that way and called AKC.. my vet wanted to be sure because they thought he was such a lovely boy. My vets buying a new scanner, it' will be here this month.. They want me to bring him in to see if they can read it then, if not I think they want to re-chip him.. afraid that if they can't read it maybe the pounds or other vets won't be able to also.. ;)

I would worry about that too. Pounds might buy the cheapest or most common chip scanners available.

I just like the HomeAgain chip cause I can upload a pic of the pooch and get emergency insurance for free. You can also list allergies and such...medical info. Just seems like a better choice to me. Monte has a Avid and it gives none of those perks at all!

Several of the scanner companies were giving the scanners out free to shelters and rescues.

That's how I got mine.

Personally I don't care which brand it is as long as the chip stays put and can be registered online.

Back