My new (and cheap) bathing system.

Mike

Owned by
4 cockers
For several years, I've always wanted to get a hydrosurge.. or one of those other bathing systems the groomers use. But, I dont happen to have $500 or more to spend on one. Some of them are close to $1000 for the mixers and all that. Then I saw one from Oster called the Rapid Bath system... a hand held thing that holds shampoo and attaches to a garden hose. It was around $40 - $50 which seemed reasonable, but you also had to purchase shampoo cartridges at $7 apiece. Nah... not for me. Kind of like always having to buy ink for your printer. Plus I saw a demo video and the spray looked kind of wimpy.
So.. I got to thinking.. All this thing does is mix shampoo and water together to spray on the dog.. So... I decided to get a weed sprayer from Lowes for $7 and a 10" hose extension for $4 from Walmart to attach to the utility sink. Total cost $11. The weed sprayer attaches to any garden hose, and has the canister on the bottom for weed killer. (or in my case, dog shampoo) It also has an off/on button for the water supply, and a dial to adjust the mixture ratio.. from heavy soap to none at all. This way I can lather em up and flip the dial to rinse all at once. So hooked the hose up to the utility sink, added some shampoo and fired it up. Bear went first, then Kyle. It worked great. Just the right amount of water pressure. It also has adjustments for the spray pattern, but just keeping it in shower mode was more than adequate enough to get them clean. It only took a few minutes for each dog and that was that. I only put maybe 2 cups of shampoo in the thing, and still had some leftover when I was done. Plus you can adjust the water temp when using it with your sink.
Anyway... Just wanted to pass it along... Not bad for $11 :)

Last edited:
Mike!
Great great idea!!! Beats to hell my idea of shampoo in a spray bottle!!!^_^

Actually, it was a 10 FOOT extension hose, not 10 inch.. lol

Bear really liked it too. Since he's blind, I was a little afraid he might get scared. But once he settled in, he was enjoying it. Was kind of like getting a massage. His taily was spinning. Kyle on the other hand, wanted OUT. Friggin baby.

Now all i need to find is an adapter to attach to the shower head in the bathtub so i can bathe them in there. The utility sink is a little cramped for them... but at least it worked. And if it didnt, I'd still have a weed killer. :naughty:

Dang good idea there! I got the shower attachment years ago for my guys. Petsmart I think. It was a bit pricey but I love it. Maybe $30-some. My front bathroom is mainyl only used to bathe my dogs so I put it in there but it would be good for people too.

That is a totally awesome idea Mike!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for thinking of it AND sharing it with us :)

Oh man, John and I have been trying to figure out how to wash Coco now that our laundry room is now a kitchen, its kind of hard to use the sink. I'm going out tomorrow too buy everything...Thank you MIKE!

How clever....I do have a hydrosurge, mainly because we bath boarding dogs every day and my girls were throwing shampoo down the drain!

It was expensive...but it is efficient and it has paid for itself 10 times over.

BUT I have two doggie tubs and really don't want to invest ANOTHER wad of money for another hydrosurge...I have used that system to disenfect my kennels before I dont know why I didnt think of that!!!

OK OFF TO LOWES!

UPDATE: I Actually found something at Lowes that is PERFECT...it is a nozzle with a bunch of settings on it one of them is a shower setting...I paid $10 bucks for it. Poured my shampoo right in the cannister which has a switch to change to clear water.

Sounds great Gina!
My squirt bottle idea didn't work well after the fist time LOL.^_^

Sounds great Gina!
My squirt bottle idea didn't work well after the fist time LOL.^_^

I know I didnt give a very good description, but Lowes has them! I love it!! NO scrubbing necessary. It works just like the hydrosurge ( I have one in the kennel) infuses the shampoo right into the coat...go get one!!

I am going to buy another so I have a spare. I can also use it to water my plants with miracle grow!! and clean out the drop off area when dogs pee in there...add some bleach to it!

I am soooooo excited!!

UPDATE: I Actually found something at Lowes that is PERFECT...it is a nozzle with a bunch of settings on it one of them is a shower setting...I paid $10 bucks for it. Poured my shampoo right in the cannister which has a switch to change to clear water.

Sounds like the one I bought at Lowes too. Yes, the shower setting works best. The other settings would be too harsh for them. And yes, the working principle is the same as the hydrosurge. But it doesnt recycle the old dirty water from the tub like the hydrosurge does, which makes this better IMO. Not to mention about $490 cheaper. lol Also, you can get a garden hose adapter ($3 at Home Depot) so you can use it in the bathtub or shower. The adapter screws onto the shower arm and then the garden hose is attached to it. Then just attach the sprayer to the other end. That way you can adjust the water temp so its just right for them.
I bathed Lacey and Bear yesterday. Was done in about 15 minutes. Quick and easy... AND they loved it :)

Wow! I'll have to get one!!! Gina do you put your Crown Royale in full strength or already cut?

Wow! I'll have to get one!!! Gina do you put your Crown Royale in full strength or already cut?

I put the Crown Royale in STRAIGHT! And you would thing that it doesnt last but it does...pretty cool. When I get another I will look to see what the dilution ratio is...

Mike, I have a hydrosurge and it does not recycle the water???

Am I doing something wrong? I don't think I want to recycle the water! my dogs wallow in the mud...lol how would you recycle muddy water:)

Back