Need help cocker spaniel has horrible skin allergies

Sarah Ann

Hi
I am looking for any tricks or things others have used for their cocker spaniel. My dog is Zeus and he is 7yrs old.

As ge gets older his skin gets worse and worse. Staff infections all over his body till he licks himself raw and smells.

The vet told us their is really nothing we can do other than monthly allergy shots.

I have tried nutro foods, worked for a while then not anymore. Rx shampoo, etc.

There has to be something out there for him. Im at this point desparate because its miserable for zeus and me.

If your cocker has had the same issues and you tried something that worked please share id be so grateful.

Thanks!

Sarah

Sorry that Zeus is having those skin problems. What I did for mine was to get the nutriscan tests by Dr Jean Dodds at hemopet. Very easy to do, you can do the tests at home and send it in to her, she will run the test and email you the results. My older dog, Fenway had been having skin issues, every year he had staph infections until I started feeding him raw. Now no more infections, he is doing great.
The nutrscan tests will tell you what foods he is intolerant of.
How often are you bathing him? You might want to do every week, until his skin starts to get a little better.

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear that Zeus is having such a problem, poor guy. You mentioned that he has skin allergies, has he been to a dermotologist? Have you had Zeus tested for food allergies? Or allergies in general? Did you have a skin scraping done?

Our little girl Zoe' had problems with Staph infections for a long time. She did not have food allergies but did have an immune problem that allowed the Staph to take off when she had an outbreak. We were able to keep the outbreaks down by doing seveal things. First even though she had a beautiful coat, we clipped her down to a puppy cut to catch the outbreak right at the start and that helped to corral it before it got bad. She did have allergy shots for staph, at first they were small frequent amounts to make sure she could tolerate them. Then to about 5 weeks apart. We bathed her every week with a medicated shampoo (short coat really helps with this). I also used topical antibiotic ointment that I put directly on the hotspot when she got one.

It seems like a lot but the results for both you and Zues will be worth it.

Also, make sure you disinfect any and all grooming tools after use, it is a simple thing but works. I might also add that during this time with Zoe' we also had two other cockers (down to one now) neither of them got staph from Zoe'.

Last edited:
Has he been tested for Staph or is it just what the vet believes. Also has he been tested for yeast. Removing all grains and going with a high quality food may help. Most of the allergy foods vets carry have ingredients like grains, also potatoes. All of which cause yeast. We went to a raw diet, Stella and Chewys with a novel protein and low carb, veggies , no starch. No treats either. Home cooking can also be good if done right so you can control what goes in it.

Our old Cocker had staph infections also, I didn't know about better food then but she got cephalexin ? when it got bad. If we let it get too bad she would have to take it for a whole month, it would clear up and be ok of a bit then start again.

It is a miserable ordeal for sure :(

So sorry to hear about your boy Zeus. Skin issues can worry you to death and be terrible for your boy. I just went through problems with both of my dogs after being sprayed by a skunk. I watched two dogs with not one skin problem turn into allergic reactions,bumps,spots,yeasty ears,hair lost,scratching,licking in just a matter of days. With my Vets help we treated very aggressive trying not to use any harsh meds on them. It felted like I spend a couple of hours every day,treating,wiping or bathing but it worked.

Omega's can make a difference...I put them on a grain free fish food.
Medicated baths for itching...one or my Vet says even better two weekly.
I used Witch Hazel to wipe out ear gunk each day and wipe new bumps.
Plain Benadryl twice a day....one pill per 25 pounds.
I started walking on leash on driveway and kept them out of high grass and weeds.
I made a Betadine rinse...and wiped off all feet, pads,faces and I rubbed down backs and legs after being outside...also after their baths,I used this for a final rinse. Add into water till it is a tea color. Did not stain me or my dogs.
Keep any hot spots or red areas dry...Last thing at night,I dusted with gold bond medicated power and it also helps relieve the itching...this had to make them feel better as both dogs would jump on couch as soon as they saw me with it.

My issues came from the nature immune and flora being thrown off balance...it happened hard and fast so I know how easy it can take over a dog in a short period. Zeus's issue's could be triggered by food or environmental or his immune could be changing as gets older. The biggest issue is to figure out which it is,I was lucky and knew mine was not food related...but changed to the fish for extra help for their skin.

Does your boy do ok in the winter on the same food? Lots of times just the grass,pollen and humidity can trigger skin issues. I hope you soon find the answers that will help your boy.

Last edited:
Hi Sarah, sorry I've been AWOL. My Cordelia had terrible allergies, just like Zeus. We went to a pet dermatologist, who ran full allergy tests, and he concocted a custom serum, injected once a week, here at home. These were for environmental allergies: grasses, dust mites, etc. It worked wonders! It wasn't cheap, but after about 18 months we were able to discontinue the shots. We still use they medicated shampoo once a week. She is on a single protein, grain free diet, with lots of fresh veg. Since you've tried everything else, I recommend this.

Back