Need help treating a fungal infection

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Hoshi has been scratching and I think I know why now. I was scratching his back for him when I noticed a smell like athletes feet--it's in his hair. I'm taking him to the vet to get it treated. I would like to add, I always take the boys out in the backyard every morning and the grass is wet with dew. Hoshi likes to lay in the wet grass. >_< What products or suggestions can you make? Dr. Smith and Foster sell a shampoo called Malaseb Medicated Pet Shampoo. This contains Miconazole so it should work except they're out of stock. I also saw a product called EQyss Micro-Tek medicated shampoo at PetEdge except it doesn't look as good as the other product.

Manuel,

the Malesab shampoo is probably available at your vet. We have used that for ringworm (which is really like a yeast infection), to cure and also prevent my others from getting it from a certain little brown foster boy.

Sometimes hypothyroid can cause that smell. Sticky fur sort of too.

You can try adding some vinegar to his shampoo, helps the skin, changes pH

Make some of the Bichon Bubbles shampoo I posted. I have a link here somewhere, but the Malesab antifungal shampoo works

Aww Manuel
So sorry that Hoshi has the fungies... I haven't had to deal with that yet, let us know what the vet says. Linny's advice sounds right to me.

Never have heard of that? I have some medicated here if you want to try some...brand new gallon never opened ! Let me know and bring over an empty bottle I will fill it for you.

So sorry this is going on for little Hoshi. I used to get the Malaseb from my vet until FM turned me on to Veterinary Formula anti-fungal shampoo and it worked better than the Malaseb for about $20 cheaper per bottle! Been using it ever since. Monte has a flea allergy too plus allergies so he gets a Benedryl every day. Good luck to you and Hoshi!

The vet saw Hoshi and doesn't think it's an infection. I'm not sure if I agree. <_< He told me to use regular shampoo and bath him 1-2 a month. He recommended using Epi-Soothe shampoo and conditioner. I also asked him if I could feed Hoshi Royal Canin Hypoallergenic. He said okay. Hoshi likes it better than Iams and has better formed stool.

Gina I'll take you up on that offer the next time I stop by. ;)

A benedryl a day?? Peeka too, but....

So sorry this is going on for little Hoshi. I used to get the Malaseb from my vet until FM turned me on to Veterinary Formula anti-fungal shampoo and it worked better than the Malaseb for about $20 cheaper per bottle! Been using it ever since. Monte has a flea allergy too plus allergies so he gets a Benedryl every day. Good luck to you and Hoshi!

Peeka takes benedryl once a day, but it seems like it "wears off" part way through the day. How much does monte take and how many times a day? Just wondering so I can compare......I think I'm going to ask the vet more about this....

Jenn

Peeka takes benedryl once a day, but it seems like it "wears off" part way through the day. How much does monte take and how many times a day? Just wondering so I can compare......I think I'm going to ask the vet more about this....

Jenn

Monte only gets one per day. Maxwell was on twice per day and sometimes 3 times per day during the height of his allergy season.

For fungal skin infections I like to use shampoos with either chlorhexidine or maleluka (sp?) in them.

Back