Need Quick help pls - flea infestation in new foster dog

Cockers4Ever

Owned by
2 cockers
So, we took over custody of a dog today that I had evaluated in July. At the time, she was in decent shape with no sign of parasites. Today when I got her, I noticed some strange "dirt" on her ears. When I arrived home and went to start hacking off matts, I realized that that "dirt" was a massive flea infestation. Awsome!!!

So, I spent 3h bathing her, combing out fleas etc. Took me a bit to realize that the water was running red from all the fleas :x I'm pretty sure that most are dead and I'm going to frontline her now but do I need to keep combing until she is flea free? What about the dead ones that didnt come off from either the bath or the combing?

Obviously, I'm having a heck of a time using a flea comb on a fairly matted dog. I'd like to preserve some of her coat so I dont want to buzz cut her. But I dont want to spend the WHOLE day torturing her with grooming :(

Try to keep combing or let the frontline do its job? I've already dumped a bunch of DE in her kennel, on my couches, in Teddy's kennel etc.

I'd say bite the bullet, and shave the poor girl down. It will grow back quickly enough, and is kinder to both you and her in the near term.

Well, I tried to shave her.... she completely wigged out over the clippers. I didnt have anyone to help hold her so I gave up after shaving her paws. I cut the matts off with scissors, brushed her out and applied the frontline. I'll comb more later. I was supposed to go to a party around 3 and it was 5:30 already. I know, bad foster mommy but I did the best I could for today.

I'll try to post pics of her tomorrow - her hair is very very sparse. I truly dont see alot of cocker in her, more cavalier king charles. But when I asked the owner, she was highly offended that I suggested she might be a mix

I agree,I would clip her down....will help with getting rid of the fleas,matts can harbor lots of things and even the frontline may not reach into them,also can see her skin lots better as she may have some skin irritations under the matts. Will be good for her to grow a new fresh untangled coat. Good Luck with your new girl.

Poor girl!! Good luck with everything. Thank you for rescuing this poor dog.

Yup.. I would shave her down. If need be a melatonin or benadryl to calm her and two nooses to hold her, and if need be, I would be asking for help.

Back