Need Some Hugs for Precious

rspeaker

Owned by
2 cockers
Precious has been sick since Sunday. Not sure if she got into something or not. Started with her vomiting a small amount of what I call mustard but the vet said is bile. Just a yellow liquid. She had some grilled chicken breast (no seasonings, sauce, etc) over her kibble, and a few hours later the squirts started. Caught her circling rapidly in my office and got her outside, phew. She made mad dash for the door a few more times that evening, so I gave her half a pepto before bed. Didn't help, she woke us up at 5:30 with a mess in her cage. Cleaned that up, gave her another pepto and clean blanket, off to work I went. Came home early only to find yet another mess. No food Monday night, had a quiet night and she seemed better Tuesday. Gave her some hamburger and rice for dinner Tuesday night and it started all over again. Again, no help from the pepto and she woke us up at 2:15 am and again at 6 with cage messes.

Took her to the vet this morning, her temp was normal and she isn't dehydrated but he found some "organisms" in her stool, called them flagellates I think. Running some blood work to see what's up.

Nothing to eat again today, and I have to try to give her Flagyl and Immodium without food .... not fun! Tomorrow we start her on a small portion of Hills I/D to see if she can tolerate it. Meanwhile, we wait on the blood work. She's almost 14, and in declining health so we are preparing for the worst just in case.

Sounds like she has some type of infection. The antibiotics should clear that up. One doctor I worked with contributed most forms of gastritis to less than fresh meat. We often suggest patients with GI symptoms follow a BRAT diet then slowly resume their normal diet. :cocker prayers:

Poor Precious, that doesn't sound like much fun at all! I hope her poor tummy is feeling better soon - the Flagyl should help.

poor thing!

Parasites can do this, like giardia and coccidea.

Fasting is a good idea, and she'll eat when she's hungry. Bummer she has to have Hills food, ICK

I hope the meds work quickly to relieve her pain (and yours)

ewwww. Most of my rescues have come with Giardia and some meds to combat it. The Flagyl works great. Took a couple rounds with Coco as it's taking numerous rounds to combat tapes in my old dude but it sure was scary coming home and finding red watery poo all over the crate and the floor! And the smell...OMG! Best wishes for Precious for sure!

Well the blood work came back okay. ALT is 163, vet said not concerned until over 300. Slightly anemic but he attributes that to her age and the bone marrow not producing as many red cells as before. So I guess we wait it out and hope the flagyl works. They ground the pills up into a pseudo-liquid and added some flavoring since she can't eat right now, but somehow I don't think I'm going to get 16 doses of the liquid out of the 16 pills they mushed up .... Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Roy
We will sure continue our cocker prayers for Precious. Please keep us informed.

Roy.... best of luck. I hope Precious is feeling better very soon. Hopefully its just a touch of the doggie flu.

Took Precious back to the vet today. The bowels are better (she's still on the Flagyl) but she hasn't been eating right. Seems hungry but walks away from her bowl after a few minutes. Drinking a lot of water. Last week I noticed a lump around her right shoulder at the base of her neck, but attributed it to a possible reaction to the doc taking blood out of that area week before. Checked it last night and it's still there, and larger. Wife said Precious seemed to be having difficulty swallowing last night so I figured a checkup was in order.

First words out of the vet's mouth when she checked the lump was "That worries me". She did a FNA but we won't know the results until Tuesday. She said she also felt the lymph node behind Precious knee, and that it's usually hard to find that one. She put her on Rimadyl to try to ease the discomfort while we wait for the results. Soft diet, can food, chicken/hamburger/rice for a few days until we see if the Rimadyl helps.

If it comes back positive vet thinks she probably has a few months left. Knowing it's coming doesn't make it any easier though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Roy
Cocker prayers for Precious and for you and your wife. Please keep us informed.

Roy I'm sorry Precious isn't feeling well. I do pray her results come back okay and she gets well soon.

Sending hugs and prayers for Precious.

I would be cautious using the rimadyl with the elevated ALT. I don't know how high the ALT would have to be to not be used, but I would ask my vet. Of course the benefits may out weigh the risk.

prayers & hugs,

and I agree about Rimadyl, hate the stuff, but at some point you have to weigh the good with the bad.

Are they thinking lymphoma?

Back