New Cocker owner from Wy

Owned by
1 cocker
I am a new owner of a three month old female chocolate. She is my first cocker. I really fell in love with the breed when I was taking care of a parti cocker at work . With a full skirt they remind me of little Clydesdales!
Ive named her Jesabell and im thoroughly enjoying her.
A question, when do you give a cocker their first hair cut?

Welcome and hope to see pictures of your little girl.

As far as haircuts, since it's a fact of life for cockers, we like to get them used to the table, clippers, etc. as soon as possible.

We put them up on the table, give a little brush out, give a treat, and keep doing this so they get used to it.

We graduate from using clippers NOT TURNED ON (but put on back of dog), to turning them on and letting them sniff them (and a treat) after a few times on table.

Start fiddling with her ears and paws right away. Those are the two things that sometimes can be an issue when grooming cockers. Fiddle fiddle, give kisses.

Welcome crimsonhorse. I believe my puppy's breeder had already trimmed a couple times by age 3 months. Someone else should give you a better answer. We're looking forward to seeing her. What's your horse's name?

EDIT: There you go. Linda already replied. :)

Welcome Crimson! I just love the browns. I am Polly and I live in So California with hubby Mike and our 4 cockers. I have never had the pleasure of a pup.. all of mine have been rescues with the exception of Stormy who is a retired show boy. I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl.

Hello, my camera has been dead so I wasn't able to take pics yet. Ill get them up soon!
Thank you for the info fostermom. I gave her a bath that night I got home. The pups were all romping in the drizzle when I went to pick her out. Thank goodness she was brown! lol

So she bathes, gets her ears cleaned, and loves to get brushed already. I need to find a nice pair of clippers now.
Fostermom you make me feel better you have one more dog than me! lol

Manuel thank you for the Welcome. That's Duchess in the picture shes my three year old AQHA blue roan i'm training right now.

Welcome to the board and to the world of cocker spaniels, as you can see by many of the board members cockers are like potatoe chips it seems you can not have just one.

I am DJ from Washington State, we live with three lovely cocker girls, Hannah, Maggie and Zoe'.

Hi crimsonhorse - Welcome! My wigglebutt LOVES going to the Groomer...in fact, she prances around as if to say "look at me, aren't I pretty" when she comes home and really digs being told how beautiful she is! She's such a little princess :)

I got pictures up. I clipped her and now I think she looks like a Poodle. :S
BTW I really don't know how to clip her but I saw something on youtube...

I got pictures up. I clipped her and now I think she looks like a Poodle. :S
BTW I really don't know how to clip her but I saw something on youtube...

Thanks for sharing Jesabell's pictures. She's adorable. ^_^

Thank you everyone for the welcome!
I took these pictures of my little girl Christina and Jesabel today. They were too cute not to share.
When I went to pick a pup Jesabel picked Christina. I think they will have a great friendship.
ChristinaJune909006.jpg

Puppy love.
ChristinaJune909029.jpg

Puppy kisses. I wish y'all could have heard her giggle.

Last edited:
The puppy and baby pictures together are sweet. I saw them in your album.

Welcome. I'm Carol from Florida and I live with my 3 year old American cocker, Pluto and my 6 month old English cocker, Woody. They keep me busy!

Back