rescue Newbie Cocker owner

SusieDoodle

Owned by
1 cocker
Hello everyone! Glad to be a member of this forum and being able to learn alot from you seasoned vets ;)
Well, today I basically rescued a 10 month old cocker spaniel that was originally bought at a petstore (read: puppy mill). We got home about 2 hours ago and she is just the sweetest little thing on four legs. We got back home and I was giving her tummy rubs and realized the poor baby is INFESTED with fleas! :( I want to know what kind of flea treatment works best for you guys...I gave her a bath with some flea killer shampoo but she is still itching. I will include a pic when she sits still to take one. Apparently she would be in her kennel for hours upon hours while her owner was at work. Since we got home she has been a bundle of love and energy. I know how they treat pups at petstores and I am pretty much amazed she is so loving and willing to be loved back. Anyway, opinions on flea treatments greatly appreciated..Thanks everyone! -Whit

Welcome! Whenever I have adopted a rescue the very first thing I have done was take the baby to my vets, for a check up, and shots if needed. If I were you, and she is so infested, I would probably have the vets office do a flea dip and talk to him about the best flea product to use for her. It depends on where you are located and if heartworm can be a problem.

We live in So CA and we use frontline plus. It has worked for us.

You will be moderated for a day or so. We will get to your posts as fast as we can. Again, welcome. :wave:

Welcome to the board, thank you for rescuing this little girls. Polly gave you some good information. Does she still have fleas on her? If she does not have any fleas on her (look in armpts and high up on the inside of her back legs) it could be that she is itchy from bites or dry skin. Just be aware that you need to speak to a vet before you "layer" flea products on her.

First congrats on your new addition! I'm sure your new cocker will grow into wonderful and happy dog in your care. I agree the best thing to do is go to your vet for a complete check up and they can let what flea preventatives work best in your area. Whenever I've adopted a dog I've always taken them in for an evaluation and to make sure they are up to date on all their inoculations. It's also nice so the vet gets to meet your dog in case she becomes ill, they already know her and have a baseline weight, etc.

Thanks everyone! I am going to schedule an appt tomorrow with the vet then. I have heard terrible stuff about Hartz and Sargeants flea treatments, so I'm pretty apprehensive about just going out and buying whatever lol. But yes, it is time she went to the vet asap because looking at the vaccine record I was given by the first owner, they were not keeping her utd with shots :/

Thanks everyone! I am going to schedule an appt tomorrow with the vet then. I have heard terrible stuff about Hartz and Sargeants flea treatments, so I'm pretty apprehensive about just going out and buying whatever lol. But yes, it is time she went to the vet asap because looking at the vaccine record I was given by the first owner, they were not keeping her utd with shots :/

I think that's great! Your vet will be the very best person to help you. You sound like you're going to be a wonderful cocker owner.

My vets' have a pill they have to Apollo because he too was flea bitten. It kills off fleas in like 24hrs and then you have them their preventative. Never had a flea problem since.

I have Apollo on certifex (sp?) flea treatment because he is on the year long heart worm shot. Missy gets Trifexus pill every month and it works great; I'm switching Apollo to it next year.

Good luck with your rescue! Believe me as someone who owns two cocker rescues I think they know and appreciate it!

Welcome and thanks for rescuing her! They always seem to know and be grateful for the good home.

Welcome!
It's been years since I've had to deal with fleas, I guess that is one benefit of -30 winters.

I just want to say not to get discouraged with the itching. It may continue for some time even after you get rid of the fleas. Talk to your vet about diet as well (not for a brand of particular food, but rather for some advice on things to look for in her food and things to avoid) There are a lot of experts here who can help too.

Back