newbie question

brit1

Hi, I am looking to adopt a mature or senior cocker and my only reservation is grooming costs. I was wondering if they can be puppy clipped close a few times a year? Thanks for any input, never had a cocker but have had a shih tzu which I used to brush daily and get clipped down 3 or 4 times a year which was affordable. brit

Ideally, a cocker should be groomed once every 2 months or so. Clipping them short can extend that to maybe 3. Some cocker coats mat easily and require lots of brushing between groomings, but keeping it short will make it somewhat easier.
Also, if you are going to keep the coat short, maybe groom him yourself. :)
A good set of clippers will pay for themselves in no time.

Welcome Brit.
Cockers are not a low maintenance breed. You can have them shaved down completely and that can hold them for over a month or so, but they do need brushing and their ears and eyes checked often. One thing I did was learn to grom them myself. It's pratice makes perfect, with books, videos and help from my friends. That's how I maintain my 4.

I'm sure our experts here will have more to say.

Ditto mine. I keep em relatively short an do it myself. No way I could afford a professional groomer with five cockers!

So shaving down would only do for a month or so?? That is surprising, was hoping for maybe 3 months^_^ I certainly would be brushing and checking eyes and ears often, no problem there. brit

Welcome Brit.
Cockers are not a low maintenance breed. You can have them shaved down completely and that can hold them for over a month or so, but they do need brushing and their ears and eyes checked often. One thing I did was learn to grom them myself. It's pratice makes perfect, with books, videos and help from my friends. That's how I maintain my 4.

I'm sure our experts here will have more to say.

A complete shave down will last a couple of months . . . it's the face that needs grooming more often, really. I'd say I shave Farley 4 times a year (I keep him short), but I do his face every 6 weeks. Having too much hair on the face and ears can make it easier for the dog to get stuff in the eyes and ear infections.

I groom mine myself. Like others have said a good set of clippers will pay for themself very quickly.

Not sure if you are looking at a particular cocker already, but our Presley has never needed to be shaved. Her coat is more like a field coat. She has feathering on her legs and pretty long ears, but doesn't need major clipping. Her feet are the only thing that need trimming. You might be able to find one in rescue.

apresout.jpg

Now that Gabby's 15 yrs. I don't have to shave his muzzle or back hardly although he has a few random long tufts on his back. This could also be a result of a hormone imbalance.

Renie is my first cocker. I invested in a good quality clipper and I do it myself. I went to the groomers and had him cut in a puppy cut. I personally find that easy to maintain. Then I put the clippers on the longest attachement and followed the groomers lines. I basically just kept up with what she had done. Now I can do the puppy cut by myself. I must be getting better because our vet tech asked me where he went and said he looked great. There are some good videos on the net for grooming a cocker and they may help you.

Back