Off topic.. But, not really...

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
My poor vaccum finally gave up the ghost. Michael said living in a cabin with 4 cockers is just too much for a regular vacuum. He wants to get a super industrial one next.

My question is, what vacuume's do most of you have. I know DJ and others have a dyson vacuume right? What super duper vacuumes do you have?

I use the hoover bagless windtunnel. Does a great job of pulling all the hair out of the carpets. I hear the Dysons are the best, but kind of pricey.. around $500

Mike
That's what I had! The hoover bagless windtunnel. It lasted 4 years.. then gave up the ghost this week....

I have a Rainbow. It collects into a water bowl. Great for asthma/allergies.

We do have a Dyson, the Animal, I love it. With three, sometimes four dogs and four birds I don't know what I did without one. We have hardwoods, two differant types of carpet and linoleum (sp) floors and it works on all of them. The one I have comes with several attachments.

It was pricey but so worth it and if you keep an eye out at some of the stores (ie Target or Best Buy) someimes you can get a gift card for the store with purchase. You can also check Costco.

I have a Dyson. I LOVE my Dyson and can't say enough good things about it. I had a Hoover Windtunnel and thought it did a good job cleaning but it kept needing repairs. It broke the last time when I was vaccuming the living room. I went to Costco and picked up the Dyson. I almost died at the cost but was so tired of paying for the repairs for the Hoover. I went home, re-vaccumed the living room, and was amazed at all the dirt and dog hair the Dyson picked up where I had just cleaned. That was four years ago. I have never had a problem with my Dyson and it works as well as the day I got it. The only issue I have is that I have to clean the dog hair off the beater bar periodically. My SIL got a reconditioned Dyson from Amazon for a very good price and she loves hers, too. Polly, I am not one to waste money and this was an expensive vaccume for me, but I NEVER regret buying it and would buy another one tomorrow if this one died. It does a fantastic job and I always marvel at the amount of stuff it picks up weekly.

" The only issue I have is that I have to clean the dog hair off the beater bar periodically. "

Same here Karen, that and the long hair my daiughter shed when she was still living at home.

" I NEVER regret buying it and would buy another one tomorrow if this one died. It does a fantastic job and I always marvel at the amount of stuff it picks up weekly."

Me either.

My daughter bought hers at Costco also, she was amazed how much her pitty-boy shed and is really happy with hers also.

Wow the Rainbow sounds nice! We had a used Kirby that worked like a champ for years. I won't recommend Hoover. I spent a couple hundred on a Hoover upright that burnt up on hair and long shag carpeting. The roller (plastic) literally melted and was stuck like glue inside the vacuum. I tried to take it apart but the screws stripped their threads. I replaced it with a Dyson DC14 and love it. It's easy to clean too. You can take the cover off with a nickle and throughly clean the brush. I'd also recommend a Bosch Electro Duo canister vacuum since you live in a (small?) cabin. I bought one for my mom who has tons of cats. It powerful, quite, and has variable suction setting. Just a warning about the Bosch's break in period on the brush. There was so much cat hair on my mom's rug the brush burnt up like the Hoover I mentioned earlier. I ended up having to replace the parts. When the roller is brand new there's no room for play between the roller and vacuum and hair will bind inside. Once the roller wears a little you'll have no problems. What I don't like about the Bosch is the brush is difficult to take apart to clean and changing bags is a hassle.

I bought both at Costco.

Ok Great input guys & gals!

Another few questions.. as you all know we live in the forest. Under California oak trees, not pine.. we get oak leaves inside.. they stick like glue to the dogs, to the carpet etc. How do you think your vacuumes would handle that? Also (gurr gurr) Michael sometimes will chop a piece of wood for kindling.. we have a wood burning stove.. and that gets away from him.

What I did was brush all of that I could out the door with a broom before vacuuming. I keep my carpet covered for the most part with cheap oriental rugs to protect it.

I know what you mean Manuel with the hoover. I was constantly taking mine apart to get the clogs out and to clean the brush.

I would love a canaster that I could use the wands with to vacuume walls etc.. my wands to the hoover windtunnel never really worked at all.

But, I'm afraid a canaster would really clog up. I bought a little shop vac at lowes once, that lasted about 5 minutes.. ;)

Sometimes I felt like taking my leaf blower inside and blowing all that out the door LOLOL.. then adding a messy artist to boot! :p

The Rainbow is definitely the cleanest vacuum I've ever had. I've had a Hoover and a Kirby. Rainbow comes with attachments and because everything lands in water, it doesn't come out again.

Ok Great input guys & gals!

I know what you mean Manuel with the hoover. I was constantly taking mine apart to get the clogs out and to clean the brush.

I would love a canaster that I could use the wands with to vacuume walls etc.. my wands to the hoover windtunnel never really worked at all.

:p

Poor little Hoover.. nobody likes them except me... lol Had mine for about 5 years with no problems. But you're right about the thing clogging. Hair clogs inside the inlets and gets tangled all over the brushes. I pull it all apart on the bottom and clean it that way. Maybe twice a year. And yes, it doesnt have much suction thru the wands.. but it does a really good job at cleaning the rugs.
Sigh... the things we do for dogs! lol

Polly said:
Another few questions.. as you all know we live in the forest. Under California oak trees, not pine.. we get oak leaves inside.. they stick like glue to the dogs, to the carpet etc. How do you think your vacuumes would handle that? Also (gurr gurr) Michael sometimes will chop a piece of wood for kindling.. we have a wood burning stove.. and that gets away from him.
Both the Dyson and Bosch should have no problem picking up leaves from the carpet. The Bosch has surprisingly powerful suction. At full power it's hard to vacuum back and forth because its suction.

Polly said:
Sometimes I felt like taking my leaf blower inside and blowing all that out the door LOLOL.. then adding a messy artist to boot! :p
That's funny. It reminds of Caddyshack when Bill Murry is tidying up his place with a leaf blower. As far as attachments, I think the Dyson attachment wand is slightly difficult to work with because the tubing has too much tension--feels like I'm working out on a Bowflex.

Both the Dyson and Bosch should have no problem picking up leaves from the carpet. The Bosch has surprisingly powerful suction. At full power it's hard to vacuum back and forth because its suction.

That's funny. It reminds of Caddyshack when Bill Murry is tidying up his place with a leaf blower. As far as attachments, I think the Dyson attachment wand is slightly difficult to work with because the tubing has too much tension--feels like I'm working out on a Bowflex.

HAHAH

Well Michael went to Sams today. He brought me home a brocure on the dyson. It was $399.. but I'm unsure if it was a pet hair dyson or not.. he said my poor hoover windtunnel has really gone down in price.. I got my last one at Walmart for $250.. he said they were now $135.00..

I saw one at the "Tuesday Morning" store here in Modesto. Different Tuesday Morning stores have different things. Is there one near you? The one here had all the tools with it and it was a good deal. Costco also has the Dyson Animal on its website for $399. Amazon has a remanufactured Dyson for $349. I think I have seen the remanufactured ones for $299 before on Amazon before.

I have heard from many dog people Dyson is the only way to go...I will let you know still saving my allowance they are expensive but well worth it...the story goes :)

I think the Dyson attachment wand is slightly difficult to work with because the tubing has too much tension--feels like I'm working out on a Bowflex.

oooo sell the treadmill then and just vac...kill two birds with one stone!

Back