rescue Oh Dear, help! Newton back here with kennel cough!

Hersh'sMom

Owned by
5 cockers
The shelter inoculated him against it but he's come down with it anyway.
On the internet I read it'll go away after a couple weeks by itself, but should I take him to the vet? He seems fine except for the coughing. Internet said they could be put on antibiotics if wanted. I've not dealt with this before so just wnat some advice? Also is it too late for my dogs if some of them haven't been inoculated against it? TIA!!!!
The family is thinking about Simond instead.

Kennel cough?

Yes, it's a 10 day period -- if dogs have had the bordatella shot -- it can give them a touch of it afterwards. I would treat, but usually, we don't have a problem with it here. But it can become bad if the dogs immune system is bad.

My dogs all got it earlier this year . . . I gave cough syrup, but that's it. There's no need for antibiotics unless the dog gets a respiratory tract infection. The coughing sounds terrible, but it's usually fairly harmless.

It is VERY contagious, though, so most likely your other dogs will get it. Lucky you!

StormBeau66 said:
Also is it too late for my dogs if some of them haven't been inoculated against it?
I'm not familiar with kennel cough. Most likely, if your dogs have been exposed to the actual disease, vaccination (after the fact) would be pointless because of the time required to make antibodies.

Oh no Robin! Can you isolate Newton, or, do you think its to late and the StormBrood will come down with it?? I have had several that I got from the pound come down with it. But, all of mine had the original shots against.. I just don't give boosters.. and when you adopt from the pound, you don't have a choice. They give all the shots.

Kisses to the crew and I sure hope they don't get it.

it's too late to isolate. Lets hope you don't have pups on the ground. They vaccinate the dogs in shelters -- so they don't get it, but they get it. It is a live vaccine. It's usually intra-nasal.

I make sure to keep new ones away from ours, the water bowls, etc, but it's airborne. Nothing like a cocker blowing green boogers at ya and doing the backwards sneeze coughing up phlem globbers. Robitussin DM (stands for dog medicine giggle) helps with their symptoms, but it does usually take 2 weeks to clear up. Some really sick dogs might end up with URI or pneumonia. NOT FUN

So would that shot kind of be like the flu shot that humans get, you normally get sick after getting it? If this is the case, could it be just that then?

Some dogs can get sick after getting the Kennel Cough vaccine . . . it is very similar to the flu shot in people.

My guys coughed for about 7-10 days. That was the only symptom, and with some Benalin cough syrup they were fine.

Robin, you got an oral syringe? Or any syringe? Put some DM on a teaspoon and draw it up in the syringe. Shoot it into the side of jowel, not down throat. Give snacky afterwards. If Newton gets really snotty and sick, he'll need antibiotics. If the cough is severe, you can put him in the bathroom with you while you take a shower. The steam helps.

Robin
Hope little Newton gets better really fast. Mine never had it more than a week if I remember right.

Poor Newton, hope that he feels better soon and that the rest of your crew doesn't contact it.

Since I board my dogs and they do attend a doggy daycare occasionally the vaccine is a requirement. I have never had them get it even when others have come to daycare with it. The daycare/boarding faucility is very good about posting or calling to let you know if your dog has possibly been exposed so that you can watch for it. When I questioned my vet about it, he did say that most healthy dogs can get over it on their own with cough support But that secondary infections can be a problem and require medication.

Back