OT~Glade Removes Paint

Nicole P.

Owned by
4 cockers
So back in end of November our realtor at the time said our house we're trying to seel smelled. So, after a thorough cleaning, I bought a ton of those glade plug-in things with a cinnamon apple scent and placed them all over the house, in all the rooms. (Let me tell you, it wasn't cheap!) End of January I was checking on the house and noticed how HOT they got, so I pulled them all, fearing fire. (Fire is a huge fear of mine.) I put one on the side of the china cabinet and one on the dresser upstairs. I should've just thrown them away, but I just sat them there thinking the scent would still be coming out in some way. Well, people have come and gone looking and must've knocked them over some time ago. Yesterday when I was there, I noticed two were tipped. That glade stuff actually removed quite a bit of paint off the finish of the china cabinet and the upstairs dresser!!! So moral of the story... if you're desperate to remove paint, let some glade plug-in scented oil sit on it for a while. Should we really be breathing that crap in? Seems dangerous to me!

If it is essential oils you are talking about, yes they can be dangerous to inhale. But more than that they can be dangerous if the animals get them on thier skin, lick them or get them in the eyes.

There are some plug ins that don't use the oil, those may be safer, or put them where they are out of reach. I can't use them at all due to the seizures, also it is dangerous for my cats to smell.

Oops I was reading in a hurry, didn't really see the part that the furniture was damaged :redface:

Sorry about the furniture, is it down to the wood? There are companies that can restore it like new but they are probably expensive. We had to use them after a flood but insurance paid for it. That is a bummer that it caused damage:(

Somewhere, newspaper or the internet, I read an article about the plug-ins that mentioned how it effected this person. The writer stated that they were having difficulties with what they thought were colds or allergies. When they removed the airfreshener they noticed a marked improvement in their symptoms and that in turn gave them more restfull sleep.

Sorry about your furniture, hope it can be restored. I think that you did the right thing in unplugging them. There are some alternatives for odor. I use these on our boat, Moisture Control, Odor Control & Healthier Indoor Air | DampRid.

You can also make little potpourri bags with herbs in them and stash them around the house.

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you had to go through all that trouble. Another thing I found out was the air fresher they use as hand car washes damages the interior finish. :mad: The employees sprayed the fake wood finish on the middle console and it ate up finish.

I ruined the air vents on my first new car years ago. I thought it was a great idea to pour a couple drops of scented oils in my plastic air vents. That stuff melted the plastic and sort of glued them stuck. I have another story about a mouse that got stuck and died in a new car's vent system but that's another topic :redface:

I have another story about a mouse that got stuck and died in a new car's vent system but that's another topic :redface:

LOL...years ago my hubbie and his workmate came back to work after a long weekend and since it was chilly they started up the defrost and heater fans. They got pelted with sunflower seed husks. Come to find out one of them had left a opened bag of sunflower seeds on the dash and mr mouse was having a food fest with them. The husks fell down the vent and they were blown back out by the fan. I took them a week to catch the little mouse who has taken up living in the seat of the truck.

Back