pancreatitis?

Pam J.

Owned by cockers
Owned by
1 cocker
Any one know the best thing to feed a dog with pancreatitis? (I ask for a friend)

Any one know the best thing to feed a dog with pancreatitis? (I ask for a friend)

Wow Pam been a while but when our past cocker girl, Phreddie had it I think that we feed chicken, boiled and little seasoning, along with brown rice.

Low fat seems to be what I remember..will see if I still have any info and get back to you

A dog with pancreatitis NEEDS to see a vet . . . there is a lot of pain involved, and it can go toxic (throughout the whole body) very quickly.

For a dog that has had pancreatitis and is recovered, a low fat diet is key. Avoid any super fatty foods . . . Farley has had it once for sure and possibly twice . . . I really watch the fat content of any food or treats he gets, and don't let him have fast food or pizza crusts or anything (much to his chagrin!).

I'm sure a Google search on "canine pancreas diets" would turn something up for you.

A dog with pancreatitis NEEDS to see a vet . . . there is a lot of pain involved, and it can go toxic (throughout the whole body) very quickly.

He has seen the vet...now she wants to change his food.

well, so many dogs get this from pigs ears and right about thanksgiving, when they get some turkey gravy, etc.

It's all about grease and fat.

Any GOOD diet is balanced, so I would have her look for something that doesn't have stuff like bacon fat, flavors, etc.. or beef tallow. Yuk

Of course they will offer Science Diet low residue or something for him from one of their prescription lines, but it's mostly the treats like ears and other fatty things. It's rather painful too. I sure hope he's ok soon.

Yeah this was one of the many things wrong with Asha a couple weeks ago and was put on science diet I/D and absolutely nothing else unless she happens upon it and then she gets sick.

I had a dog that had pancreatitis and on a low diet and had to be monitored all the time. In the end we travelled I believe she died as the vet wouldn't believe me or put her on a drip and the next day she was dead. We were in a country town in Western Australia.

One thing to avoid at all times in cortiscone, it can flare up and kill your dog.

I fed my girl just a low fat dog food, as she was slightly overwieght and really monitored that she never ate any fatty food, and took fat off all food. She could still have bones, when she wasn't having an attack and about month or 2 afterwards but in moderation and not often.

My Misty still had a great life with pancratitis, and we also found clavulox for a week or so if we thought she was going to have an attack, stopped it from getting worse.

Hope all works out for you

Back