Puppy eating habits

Heath Darby

My wife and I recently got our first Cocker; she is 13 weeks old. We are feeding her a grain free puppy food. It does seem a bit hard and crunchy. Millie (our girl) hasn't developed a specific eating pattern. We place food out for her when we first get up and when we sit to eat in the evening; she will nibble here and there. She has her times where she will eat most in a single sitting, but most of the time she just nibbles here and there. Should I pick the food up a specific time after putting it out even if she has not eat much of it? She has seen the vet and is healthy; she currently weighs 6.9lbs and very energetic. I do give her a treat after she potties outside. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Heath

I think this is up to you. Your current routine seems to working out fine. She's not gorging herself so leaving food out is ok. I feed Hoshi once for breakfast and at dinner time. He's happy with this shedule.

Heath, like Manuel, mine get fed twice a day, measured amounts. I know some dogs, especially single dogs to a family will free range like your Millie is doing. I think that's great that she doesn't gorge
and can walk away from a dish with food in it. I have not had a single pet, and I don't want one to eat the others, this is the way I am sure they are getting the food they need. Your girl is doing great.

It's been a long time since I had a single dog-over 30 years! But when I had Ebony, I would feed her in the morning, and she'd eat through out the day.

Hi Heath, my 11 week old cocker puppy, Egypt, does the exact same thing. I notice that she will eat more when I am home then when I am away at work. But she is still eating and gaining appropriately so I am okay with that. But glad to see that other puppies have similar eating habits.

Back