Puppy's First Bath

Gina in Frederick

Owned by
1 cocker
Happy New Year!!

I am getting ready to bathe my puppy for the first time (he's 13.5 weeks) and he smells like smelly puppy. Are there any suggestions on what I should/shouldn't do with his ears? I'm really worried about getting water in them and them getting infected. Any suggestions you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I would try not to use a shower head on the ears. Linda suggested using a wash cloth for my puppy's face because he was scared of the water. It really helped. You could try that. I do use the shower head on the outside of the ears but I'm careful not to water on the inside.

When I took Blue in for his shots, I asked the vet what to do to wash his face, because his wife is a groomer. He told me that she just washes them like any normal part of the body, but then takes a rag/paper towel and wraps it around her finger, then inserts it into the ear canal slightly and dries/cleans it. He said it won't hurt the dogs ears because they are alot deeper then ours and recommended I do the same for Blue, so far no infections :)

I'm no groomer but I just wash the outside of the ear during the bath, I don't lift the ears up. This way, water doesn't get in the ears. Once they're out of the tub I wash the ears separately with a dog ear wash. That's also when I clean any tear stains.

I use cotton balls and I do use a sprayer but mine are used to it, a sprayer may scare them at first. If I have to wash the underside of the ears I just get the lower part of the ear wet. If they shake the cotton out use a new ball, not the wet one.

Back