Question about Tails

Marti

Owned by
1 cocker
I have noticed that most Cockers have pretty short and stubby looking tails but Charley's is longer than many I have seen. Is there a reason for the differences in length or is it really up to the person docking the tails?

Am guessing that's gonna be controversial! I've heard there's a standard amount of joints to clip at. My thoughts on that is probably the real breeders that know what they're doing will go by that standard. Mendi had a verrry short nubbin but she was bred by show breeders! Monte has a decent length nubbin but no where near the show dogs at all! Every buddy else is short but reasonable. Mendi's was sooo short I could put her in didees in her later years without worrying about cutting a hole for her tail. Seriously little tiny nubbin!

Tail length is determined by who does the docking. I find that most often, when vets dock the tails (as opposed to breeders that do it at home), the nubs are quite a bit shorter. There is a spot on the tail where it narrows, and that's where it should be docked. Some breeders prefer longer tails while others like shorter ones. My first Cocker hardly had a tail at all, but my show dogs have longer tails.

Dylan is definately from a show breeder and I think Riley is from one, too, and both have longer tails. Little Eloise, my dd's cocker, has a very short tail.

Great! Thanks for the info! Wasn't sure if it was a function vs. appearance issue. :)

All of my rescues have had shorter tails. My Pepper had a longer tail but I had to have the tip amputated because it was infected so badly when we got him.

My retired show boy, Stormy has a very long tail! He waves it like a flag!!! It's so cute!!!:D

All three of the girls here have differant lenghts of tail Hannah's is shorter than Zoe's and Maggie's is quite long. We call it her handle. Maggie's tail wags non-stop and always have to warn Zoe to watch out she is going to get poked if she doesn't stop following Maggie so close.

Back