question

M

martinkris04

I've noticed that sometimes charlie drags his butt acrossed the carpet or floor and we had his anel glands expressed when we had his fur cut on April 6th. Wondering what else would cause this any ideas suggestions etc.

If his stools are soft he isn't able to express his own anal glands while pooing so he's expressing them by doing this.

Would u suggest a fecal test to see about worms? Or are there more signs to worms than I'm seeing?

He seems to he doing samething when we took him in to get his fur cut and they expressed his glands then they said they were only have full. I am watching him chew on his butt area and lick majorly. So could it be just a gland issue again. I'm doing shopping today for food and am picking up the pumpkin for his food tonight to start.

He might need the glands expressed internally, which is usually done at a vet's office. Groomers usually do an external expression. I'd call the vet and ask if they'll check his glands.

We were thinking try the pumpkin for a week and see what happends maybe it will fix the problem
What if he only licks the pumpkin off his food?

He will eat eventually. Amelia is not a fan of pumpkin although she will eat it. You can also use a spoon of unsweetened, natural apple sauce. My vet told me that one. I do use that. They also have another thing, it is a powder called firm up pumpkin. That one is great for traveling. I have a bag and bring it along when I go places with my dogs just in case. I would have a fecal run on Charley just to rule out worms. Of course when you are there have them check his Anal glands. I empty my dogs' glands weekly when I bathe them.

I went to store and got 100% pure pumpkin only thing on ingredients was pumpkin so I gave him a couple tablespoons of that with some food since he only ate half or his breakfast amount and he licked off the pumpkin but didn't eat his food.

Hmmm, glad he ate the pumpkin. Maybe something is up with his food. Sometimes things are different from bag to bag.

Still on smae bag got bag the 22nd of march doing 1 cup in morning and 1 cup at night sometimes he eats well and others only some I asked vet they said as long as he doesn't go many days without eat 3 plus then don't worry. They will eat when need to. Some could be not enough exercise sometimes depending on weather and things we only play fetch inside and I don't get to the 30min walk. We will see how he does tonight he got a 20 min walk today and some fetch outside too. We will see.

He is at his ideal weight but can go as low as 25 pounds right now he is 27.8 no higher than 28 pounds so I think things are good.

Still on smae bag got bag the 22nd of march doing 1 cup in morning and 1 cup at night sometimes he eats well and others only some I asked vet they said as long as he doesn't go many days without eat 3 plus then don't worry. They will eat when need to. Some could be not enough exercise sometimes depending on weather and things we only play fetch inside and I don't get to the 30min walk. We will see how he does tonight he got a 20 min walk today and some fetch outside too. We will see.

A whole cup twice a day? That's quite a bit.

That's what the bag says to do for medium dog 21- 50 pounds starting at 2 cups- 4 cups a day. So I do the lowest and split between meals. It says dogs may be feed once or twice a day. I know he won't eat 2 cups once a day so I split it into to meals. If I was to do the small dog weight 13-21 pounds it is a1 1/2 cups- 2cups a day. So not much change.

That's what the bag says to do for medium dog 21- 50 pounds starting at 2 cups- 4 cups a day. So I do the lowest and split between meals. It says dogs may be feed once or twice a day. I know he won't eat 2 cups once a day so I split it into to meals. If I was to do the small dog weight 13-21 pounds it is a1 1/2 cups- 2cups a day. So not much change.
Pic with weight and size

Attachments

• 20130412_160651.jpg
    20130412_160651.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 25
Pic with weight and size
Pic of instructions

Attachments

• 20130412_160703.jpg
    20130412_160703.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 24
As far as instructions say I'm doing the lowest to see where his weight goes. Vet said keep it up and no issues so ill check with them later for weight check and see how he is maintaining I think he's doing good. Like vet said he will eat when he needs to and I know someone else said samething too. So I'm not extremely worried unless it goes past a few days.

Something I have noticed is if the dog gets too much food stools will be firm at first and then kinda soft at the end. Any time I see this I cut back on food just a little. It is like a balancing act to find the right food and amount for these guys. Any different treats or snacks can also cause soft stools,so introduced only one new thing at a time for a couple of weeks till you see if it affects him. Is Charlie's entire stools formed but soft,mushy pile or very thin? If they have total soft stools for a few days sometimes their rear can become sorta irritated which will make them drag bottom on floor as they are kinda itchy. Or if it is very thin a little can stay on them and cause irritation. I have washed rears with warm cloths or baby wipes before especially with short haired breeds when going through bouts of diarrhea.

Did they check for worms at the vet? Did he drag bottom before he had soft stools? Each time they have a hard firm stool they will express their anal glands a little naturally,so when soft this does not happen. Has he had soft stools for several days or just a day? Has his stools been normal and firm any since he has started the new food? how long has he been on it now? I am a huge poop watcher as I feel this is the way to let you know what is going on inside and if everything is agreeing with them. Sometimes when starting a new food it can take 3 or 4 weeks to get them on track with it.

Always use a stainless or ceramic bowl for food and water. I wash them every day as if any bacteria sets up on them it can cause loose stools. Plastic bowls can harbor bacteria even after washing so I never use them.

Last edited:
He has been on this food (only) since March 22. When he poops it looks firm and normal color medium to dark brown. When I freashly pick it up it then its apparently squishy. Sounds weird but the outer area looks firm but inside is all squishy. Its been this way off and on sometimes when I brush his teeth woth tooth paste I seem more slimy look to it so I only use water now and that stopped. When giving him some peanut butter I was a little softer looking so I don't do that very often. He drug his butt a few days before we got his fur cut and hasn't since then tell today. My husband doesn't pay much attention to the poop he won't pick it up either so this is only what I see when I'm home I don't know if its like this at night cause I clean up poop in yard once a day and by then looks different. When he is pooping it looks normal but normal to me maybe off I haven't seen dogs poop before.

Back