Re: The problems have started

Mypluto

Owned by
2 cockers
HELP! Ok, I have a 3 year old cocker and he was 9 weeks old when we got him, but this new little guy is different and the fact that there is another dog in the picture mixes up the situation.

Pluto will not play with Woody. Pluto is not food or toy aggressive, thank goodness. He will let the puppy go into his toy box and take what he wants, and will stand and watch as the puppy attacks his food bowl. I moved Pluto's food bowl 2 weeks ago and he is used to where it is now. I did that on a suggestion that Pluto will not put the food bowl move with the arrival of the new pup. I have a gate between the living room and kitchen and that keeps them separated at mealtime.

Pluto does growl at Woody when the puppy chases him. He growls loud and barks too. He doesn't like it when Woody chases him. He will sniff Woody and chase him, but when the puppy turns around and starts to chase Pluto, its a different story. Pluto will growl and bark at Woody.

Its hard when we go outside too. When I take the two of them out together, Pluto will chase the pup, stick his nose up his butt, and sometimes even flips him over and runs away. If Woody is sniffing and doing his "I have to wee-wee" dance, Pluto will come over and sidetrack him. I have had to start taking them out separately because Woody is taking to housebreaking so well and Pluto would distract him.

I'm sure there will be other problems as time goes on, but these are my main concerns right now. As always, any help is appreciated.

Carol, some of those problems will resolve once Pluto realizes that Woody isn't a temporary addition. If Pluto has been an only-dog up until now, he's probably not that happy about this baby coming into HIS territory. Just like with kids - the older brother or sister resents the new baby that is taking their parents' time and attention.

Taking them out seperately at this point is a good idea. Woody needs to concentrate on why he's out there, and at this age, everything is a distraction, including his big brother. When I first brought Jack Jack home, he was out by himself (with me) a LOT. Now all of the dogs go out together, but Jack Jack is also 11 months old.

Seriously, none of what you're telling us is a huge deal. The dogs will adjust and get used to each other, Pluto might just need to sulk for a while. That's not at all out of the ordinary, and I wouldn't fret too much.

In the meantime, pictures????????????

Mypluto said:
Pluto does growl at Woody when the puppy chases him. He growls loud and barks too. He doesn't like it when Woody chases him. He will sniff Woody and chase him, but when the puppy turns around and starts to chase Pluto, its a different story. Pluto will growl and bark at Woody.
This sound fairly normal to me too: exuberant puppy vs. set-in-his-ways adult. See the "Introducing Puppies to Adult Dogs" in the DFL handout.

KLADCkrs said:
In the meantime, pictures????????????

Yes, pictures! Don't keep us waiting with bated breath. :p

Well being a only one dog at a time family for some years now I do
remember tho that years back when we had 2-3 at a time this seems
normal.
((I hope things turn out just fine for all))
Anita

HELP! Ok, I have a 3 year old cocker and he was 9 weeks old when we got him, but this new little guy is different and the fact that there is another dog in the picture mixes up the situation.

Pluto will not play with Woody. Pluto is not food or toy aggressive, thank goodness. He will let the puppy go into his toy box and take what he wants, and will stand and watch as the puppy attacks his food bowl. I moved Pluto's food bowl 2 weeks ago and he is used to where it is now. I did that on a suggestion that Pluto will not put the food bowl move with the arrival of the new pup. I have a gate between the living room and kitchen and that keeps them separated at mealtime.

Its hard when we go outside too. When I take the two of them out together, Pluto will chase the pup, stick his nose up his butt, and sometimes even flips him over and runs away. If Woody is sniffing and doing his "I have to wee-wee" dance, Pluto will come over and sidetrack him. I have had to start taking them out separately because Woody is taking to housebreaking so well and Pluto would distract him.

I'm sure there will be other problems as time goes on, but these are my main concerns right now. As always, any help is appreciated.

I have just counseled a gal in NJ through this process...Let it be said right here that it takes a good 3 or 4 weeks to get through the 'adjustment' period...Be patient they will soon be best friends.

Carol
I think that all it takes is time. I have never had a pup that young, but, they will work it out I bet.:naughty:

Back