Rescue cocker spaniel

Glendog12

I have a 4 year old rescue cocker spaniel which I have had for four months now. I got him from a rescue centre in Brechin. He is a sweet dog but comes obviously with some problems. Apart from the fact that he is costing me a fortune in vets bills but that is my problem. He requires a lot of exercise which isn't a problem but is totally uncontrollable on a lead. I have tried four different types of lead and he just pulls through anything. No concept of pain whatsoever. Walking him is not enjoyable at all. The other really big problem is his Barking which I really am at a loss with how to deal with. He has been treated for skin allergies but it turns out we are now dealing with lice which he has obviously had since spending time in kennels. It was only diagnosed last Thursday when he was under general anesthetic being castrated. I love the dog to bits but really need some help in dealing with his Barking etc. Please help.

Welcome and thank you for rescuing your pup. I know they can now clear up mites quickly and that should help with any itching your dog might have and he will much more comfortable soon. As for the walking, he’s around four years old and it sounds as if he hasn’t been walked much. Continued walking with praise for good behavior will help. My daughter adopted her cocker spaniel from a shelter and Eloise obviously had never been walked on a leash before. Daily walks were helpful and also my daughter and Eloise attended an obedience class together which really helped with walking on a leash and also with controlling her barking and jumping on everyone. I’d strongly suggest an obedience for you and your pup.

My suggestion also is for you and your new cocker boy to go to a obedience class. Having had many rescues myself, it takes time, time and more time along with lots of love and positive reinforcement. He will learn, thank you for saving him.

Hello Glen! Sounds like you have a handful there. My cocker is rising 7 months now and he's hard going on a lead, although I'm starting to let him off lead now and that's easier on my arms! One thing I found helped is taking a ball on walks. I have Tiree on an extending lead and toss the ball a little way ahead so he has something to focus on and retrieve. I've found he likes to have something to do rather than just walk at my side.

When does he bark?

Back