Riley Update

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Riley is still limping sometimes but will now go for longer periods limp free. He seems to limp most when he first gets started walking after he's been inactive for a while and when he's tired. I injured my knee this fall and that's what I remember doing. I'm also remembering it took about 12 weeks until I was completely better. I'm going to give him more time and hope this heals up completely and hope to avoid surgery. It's not just the money, if Riley needs to have the surgery we will come up with it, but it's really the pain and recovery. I think it would break Riley's heart to have to be constantly crated for 8 weeks or longer. Plus when my DD had surgery involving cutting her bone and tendon re-attachment with a long recovery, it was very difficult and painful. However, she knew what was going on where Riley wouldn't understand. I hate to put Riley through that at 10 or 11 years old. Please juust keep those healing cocker prayers coming because we really can see improvement.

That sounds like arthritis has set in.. do you have him on any glucosimine or shark cartidge?

I agree with Linda - get a really good glucosamine supplement. I use Synovi G3 chews, and they work well on my old guy who has knee issues. It might help. Also, try to avoid jumping on and off the furniture, just to be on the safe side. I hope Riley is feeling better soon!

Oh Karen Poor Riley..
Remember when I first got Bunkie, he broke his elbow, was in a cast for 6 weeks and when we had it removed, he still limped, My vet said arthritis set in the joint.

It's been about 2wks and probably too early to tell. Is Riley still being crated to rest his knee? The vets seemed sort of iffy about what was wrong with Riley's leg last time. Why not get a 2nd opinion. It can't hurt. Even at 10 or 11 years old Riley still has many good years ahead of them. If surgery would correct his problem I think it would be worth it if it can improve the quality of his life. I would also try the glucosamine chondroitin supplement. Gabby's surgeon recommended it as well. Ask him or her for the dosage--I can't remember it. Get well soon Riley. :luv:

The vet has given us a glucosamine supliment for Riley. He takes it every day. The vet is sure Riley is having a problem with his luxating patella which he injured when he jumped off the bed. I'm crossing my fingers it heals without surgery.

Prayers continuing for little Riley Karen. Hopefully he will heal and feel back to his old self soon.

Back