Scaly Spots on Back and Neck

ZuZu2008

Owned by
1 cocker
Hello, new cocker friends!
I am writing for advice and suggestions about my Zu's skin. ZuZu, my 5 year old blonde, has developed scaly spots on her back and neck. Although she does not appear bothered by them (she doesn't scratch them or chew) the spots develop scales and then form scabs. I have done the following with respect to treatment: I have taken her to the doctor and it was suggested that she have allergies. I was told to treat with Benadryl if she becomes itchy and we began her on Comfortis to help alleviate any flea dermititis. I was also told to bathe her with oatmeal shampoo and let it sit on her skin for a bit before rinsing. I also heard that fish oil may help so I have added that as well. The spots on her back reduced but she still had it on her neck and the base of her tail. I took her to a groomer who used T-Gel or some sort of tar shampoo and we noticed an immediate improvement but about four days later, the raised black scabs returned along with dry skin spots. She itched and itched and was miserable. I took her to the vet again and he gave her a cortizone shot. Told me NEVER to use a tar-based soap again on her and to treat with Benadryl again. It seemed that the spots never went away and now, I returned from the groomer today and her back, neck and rump are covered with black scabs that flake off and look like black crust. The groomer has never seen this on any other cockers, the vet didn't know what the spots were and I thought maybe some expericenced cocker parents could offer some advice.
I understand that there are allergies that can be related to diet and researched her food and made changes to a gluten-free pet food. So far, she is on a gluten-free slamon based dog food, she is bathed in oatmeal shampoo. I did try a aloe and tea-tree shampoo to see if that would help but it seemed to make it worse so I am back on oatmeal. There is no odor and the spots have been tested and yeast infection was ruled out. In addition, it's not flea dermititis and she is in good health otherwise. This is my second cocker so I (thought anyway) that I knew what to look for about yeast infections, etc.
Thanks for your input
Sandi
(new to the group- I tried to post a pic of my Boo but there was an error- maybe next time)

Welcome Sandi
I'm Polly. You didn't mention if you vet took a scraping and tested the areas. I would suggest that. You need to know exactly what those spots are.

I agree with Polly, my previous Cocker had that and it was caused by staph infection. Allergies were at the base of the problem but the sores had staph in them and we treated it with Cephalexin and a diet change.

Thanks Polly and Diane
I am taking her to the doctor this weekend. I don't want to run the risk of her getting an infection from the sores on her now. The last time she was at the doctor, they did a skin test and she did not have a parasite or fungus. I was so surprised by how much the sores had spread to almost her whole body and can't understand what is the problem. I changed her diet, but now I'm stumped. Dianne, what type of diet are your sweeties on? She is on a gluten free, salmon based diet.

One more thing...
I am seeing on many posts that people recommend testing for allergies. Ballpark... How much can I expect to pay for an allergy test? Thankfully, her ears and feet have been fine. I had that problem with my old Petie (who went to the Bridge in '05). I wish I knew then what I am starting to discover now.
There is so much helpful information on this site. I am so glad that I found you all!
Sandi

Sandi I guess the prices of the testing depends on where you live. Why not call your vet and ask?

This was our old Cocker that passed away. At that time it was different brands sold by the vets, before I knew about grains, etc. Even a grain free diet can have other things that cause issue, the preservatives and lots of other stuff. As for allergy testing there are different methods but I am not familiar with them. I just know some are better than others. An elimination diet is best, simple is better, a novel protien and carb source. I personally would stay away from what the vet suggests.
If you could slowly switch over to a home cooked or raw it might help, but it has to be gradual. Natural Balance has several varieties of simple diets for allergies, check them out. A dermatologist would be a good idea but if possible I would try to find a good holistic vet first. A dermatologist usually will go to steroids, which just suppress the symptoms, not cure the problem. That may be what needs to be done at some point but would sure try a different approach if possible, IMO.

I have switched from IAMS to Holistic Select and her spots are much worse. The last time I went to the vet, they suggested steroids and I was against it. Hopefully I will get more information when we go to the doctor this weekend. The gluten free may be a good place to start but def not the entire solution.
I don't trust the big box stores for information on food. I dunno....
Thanks for the input.
By the way, we are in Norfolk, VA and I know there are dermatologists in the area when we go that route

Got back from the doctor earlier today. Zu was given antibiotics and a new shampoo, HexaChlor-K. I'm still not too sure about the food and the Dr. suggested the RC Hypoallergenic Hydrolized Protein food. I went online to the RC site and saw that there is a Cocker Spaniel food. It's benefits include imporved skin, coat and ears. Has anyone tried it? I switched from Iams to the Holistic and I don't think that was a good idea. If I switch, I want to make sure that it's for the better. Her skin is very dry alredy. I'd hate to make things worse instead of better.

I have used both. My older cocker spaniel was on the RC Hypoallergenic. He did well on it but he wasn't satisfied with it either. I guess it would be like eating gruel for the rest of your life. Hoshi was on the RC cocker food. He did okay but still suffered from loose stools. I switched Hosh over to raw chicken and the problem went away.

Thanks, Manuel. I remembered that my old cocker, Pete, was prescribed Chlorhexaderm (sp) shampoo and we used that as his regular shampoo for the rest of his life. I don't want to make any changes to her diet if I don't have to. Mr. Pete had similar black spots on his neck for pretty much his whole life. I will start saving up for the dermatologist so I can take her in and figure out what to do if the shampoo doesn't clear it up. The vet suggested the RC hypo. I could try that, too. I want her to be happy, though. I also think that her coat may not be getting air. I know that sounds funny, but she gets the funky spots in her pits and on her neck, where her collar is. But, I'm just speculating.
I'll keep you posted.
Sandi

Zuzu did you ever find out what was wrong with your cocker. I think mine has the same thing and the vets have put het on antibiotics, steroids, fungal meds and special shampoos and food....nothing has helped and it continues to spread. She looks like she has tumors all over her back cause the scabs are so thick and crusty and keep moving up her back to her under arms and neck now. Please help

Zuzu did you ever find out what was wrong with your cocker. I think mine has the same thing and the vets have put het on antibiotics, steroids, fungal meds and special shampoos and food....nothing has helped and it continues to spread. She looks like she has tumors all over her back cause the scabs are so thick and crusty and keep moving up her back to her under arms and neck now. Please help
Hi and welcome, This thread was originally posted in 2012, I don't think ZuZu has ever been back. But, if I were you, and your vet hasn't been able to find the cause, I would find a dermatologist or even a teaching Vet School to see if you can come up with what the problem is. There is also a world renowned vet that you can contact and send in samples to. She is Dr. Dobbs, she has a FB page and a website, she is holistic. Good luck, I hope you can find the help you need for your baby.

Back