Scissoring

Angindrcvr

I'm in Cocker Heaven
Owned by
3 cockers
I would really like to start scissoring the dogs to keep them in a shorter coat, but everytime I try they look really choppy and I just get frustrated and shave them down... I am not sure how to even go about doing it right, so if anyone can give me some kind of instructions, that would be great! I can groom like a pro, but my scissoring defintiely needs some work..

Melissia

How long are the blades of the scissors u r using? If they're too short that can make it look choppy. I like to use 8" scissors. Comb hair up(dampen to make hair stand out) and cut down vertically. I'm sure Kelly, Gina and Linny can have some hints too as well as others.

In the sticky about feet and legs it has some tips about scissoring legs. I haven't started scissoring Reagan's legs yet. I don't have a pair of grooming scissors yet, so I have to wait until I can order some.

Hi

I have something called thinning shears which is like a pair of scissors but is used to thin the hair out and cut it down. it is used on their back, sides, legs and heads etc. Proper scissors i only use on the feathers and feet.

There is also a thing we use here in Australia called Coat King, mars Comb which gets rid of dead hair also.

I used to use the clippers on the dogs head and legs and a special blade for the back, or used the thinners.

We are lazy now and take the dogs to Connor's breeder who opened a grooming section in the pet shop she owns, so we just travel the distance and she does them both and they look beautiful after each trim. She also does the proper cocker spaniel trim and not the pet one

The trick is really what Robin said.

Brush/or comb fur UP, so it's all sticky outty. THEN, take your long straight scissors and cut down, to make the sticky outtys even, if you know what I mean.

That's also how I blow dry, so I am trimming as I blow it up and scissor down.

Keep doing that till it all looks even(ish) depending on the dogs fur. Some straight soft fur will always look a bit choppy (especially a buff) but it is the easiest way to keep it looking like what I call "stove pipes"..

Go straight down from top of leg to paw sides.

I have 10" scissors I use for this. Sometimes my 7 1/2" too. Some take the front of the leg fur and brush over to sides to help make it easier to do that.

Keep in mind that scissoring isn't something that you can just do - it takes lots of practice, and the dogs will look choppy when you first start. There's really no way around that. I ALWAYS bath and blow dry before scissoring - if you don't use the dryer to dry the dog, then the hair doesn't stand out from the body properly, and you'll never get the right trim.

I copied and pasted the information below from the thread titled "Trimming Cocker Legs And Paws." I'm sure that Gina can add more information too.

I usually start with the back feet, but it really doesn't matter. With the dog standing on the table (use two nooses if your dog likes to sit a lot while you're grooming - just get a second grooming arm and put the second noose around the dog's abdomen), trim a box around the dog's foot. Make 4 cuts - front, back and both sides of the foot. Don't trim too close to the toe nails, otherwise they will end up showing, and you don't want that. Once you have "boxed" the foot, trim the corners of the box until you have a rounded foot. Usually the "circle" should be about 1/2" or so away from the ACTUAL foot itself, if you know what I mean. If you were to draw a circle of the dog's foot on white paper, and then a circle of what you have trimmed, there should be about 1/2" difference between the two. Then, using the comb, fluff up the leg coat until it's sticking out as much as possible. Holding the shears parallel with the leg (up and down), make a straight cut "along" the foot. This is the scary part, so you make not want to take a lot off to begin with, just do it in stages.

Gradually, you will trim a column around the dog's leg. In order to trim the hair behind the leg, I bring the leg straight forward (hold it straight towards yourself) and trim a straight line "under" the leg as the hair hangs. Trim up nice and close in the armpits, because nobody is going to see it (I usually use the clippers there).

Keep coming the hair up to fluff it and make it stand out, and then trim. Always hold the shears parallel with the leg, up and down. Holding the shears that way, you get the least amount of scissor marks on the hair. As you get better, you will spend more time fluffing and trimming tiny hairs away, until your column looks nice and even. Keep in mind that this works best on Cockers with fluffy coat. Cockers with nice, correct coat are a bit harder to trim this way, because you can see each scissor mark more clearly. This is just a fact of life, and as you get better at this technique, you will notice the lines less and less.

I tried using clippers with a comb over the blade, but I could never make it look nice. So I always use scissors on the legs. For trimming the legs I use 7" straight shank shears - you can get Dubl Duck scissors for a good price. You don't need to spend a fortune, but do spend around $40 to get a decent pair. I always trim from above - so I stand over the side of the dog and cut with the scissors pointing towards the ground.

If you are getting choppy scissor marks, you are probably taking too much hair at once. I can take quite a bit of hair now, but when I was first starting I made small cuts. It's a lot harder to completely screw up a trim when you're using small cuts. And when you've done the bulk of the work and are just tidying up the cut, use extra small snips, and just take your time. I do LOTS of fluffing of the coat before cutting. Trying to cut hair that's hanging down is next to impossible. That's why if you can teach the dog to lay down for blowdrying, it really helps. That adds volume to the coat (drying it from underneath, essentially), and makes it a bit easier to trim.

I would really like to start scissoring the dogs to keep them in a shorter coat, but everytime I try they look really choppy and I just get frustrated and shave them down... I am not sure how to even go about doing it right, so if anyone can give me some kind of instructions, that would be great! I can groom like a pro, but my scissoring defintiely needs some work..

Melissia

Melissa,
You can invest in a blade guard put it over a 30 or 40 blade...a 0 guard may leave the legs long enough to set a pattern...which you can then go back and scissor. Comb UP and shake the leg to let the hair settle and then scissor parallel to the bone in the leg. HOLD YOUR SCISSOR STRAIGHT do not angle them out or you will have shorter at the bottom than at the top...and vice versa if you angle them inward....straight up and down.
Scissoring takes practice, practice and more practice, make sure you are holding your shears correctly and always look PAST the hair..make the area you want to scissor a HORIZON...that you can scissor evenly.

I hope I am explaining it sufficiently....and think TUBEBULAR imagine a paper towel roll and that is the shape you should aspire to.

thanks guys!

I had to order both regular and curved shears. So, I should blow dry and fluff up.. Should i have the dog lying down on their side and hold their leg up in the noose and work from the foot down?? Or have them standing and work from the leg down to the foot? I do have blade attachments for the moser, but even using the largest attachment with the blade set at 9, it's still shorter than I would like to have it.. I primarily shave down Riley's back simply because he has soooo much stinkin hair, thinning it is just about pointless.. I use thinning shears on Madison and Baileys' back and it looks good... It took me a while to figure out the top knot, but I have that down pat.. The feet are a whole different story.. LOL.. Sometimes, I get them perfect and am sooo happy at the way that they turn out, and other times they just suck and I am sooo dissapointed in myself.. I know they are just dogs, and it is just hair, and it grows back, but i am a perfectionist and I hate when things aren't just right..

Melissia

Im a perfectionist also, which is why i now get someone else to do Fleur, as I had problesm with her face. Her legs aer also hard to do to get it right. With Callie i used to shave her legs and thin her shoulders out and thin close to her feathers. Do you have a friend who is a cocker breeder and shows, as that is how i learnt to do it, was watching others groom and clip the dogs.

Im sorry i can't be much help.

Back