Shaky back legs

lori

Owned by
2 cockers
Hi, I have had Teddy since last September. I noticed his back legs shook quite a bit like he was nervous when I first met him and subsequent meets before adopting. His legs still shake noticeably all the time. The vet told me there is nothing wrong with his legs, hips or back and that is may be something neurologic and not to worry about it. He is my first cocker I've owned. Is this normal?

No Lori, it isn't normal. I would tell my vet I was uncomfortable and ask for further tests. Did he do at aleast an xray?

I have had him checked by 2 vets, the one vet is my regular one and the other was just for a second opinion. They both said the same thing that nothing was wrong with him. It makes me feel bad that his legs shake. No one has done an x-ray. They put him through range of motion of all legs, the last time being just last Saturday, and he still doesn't seem concerned at all. He wasn't at the vet for that, but he ranged his legs while there. I was thinking maybe he was abused somewhere along the line or hurt. He also doesn't like when you pet his back legs (or near the back of his legs on each side), in the crease areas on either side. He will growl at me and growl louder if I continue.

I have seen dogs quiver in the rear legs when scared or very nervous but never seen one shake in the rear legs all the time...I agree and would ask for more test or get a second opinion.

Lori,how old is Teddy?

Last edited:
He is 3-1/2 years old. He does get very excited with things like food, going outside, out for car rides, etc. He can run super fast and jump up and off couch and bed with no problems. Sometimes I've seen his whole body shake when he is overly excited. The leg tremor or shaking though I notice when he's just standing and nothing exciting is happening. There wasn't much known of his background other than he was in a shelter in Texas, was going to be euthanized (I think his time was up) and a rescue up here in MN took him in. He didn't seem to have much training and wouldn't eat kibble at first when he came, only human food (that was at his foster's place who worked with him to get him to eat dog food). Maybe he's just a super excitable dog or nervous dog.

W/him growling if you mess w/his legs, it makes me wonder if he was injured at some point in time. And, while the pain may not be there any longer, he could still remember it and be afraid he's going to be hurt again.

It is wonderful that you rescued and saved Teddy's life!! He is a young dog and good to hear that he runs,jumps and plays. I thought maybe he was older and could be getting weak in his rear end but since he is so young and active and in no pain that would not be the case. You could be right Lori that something has happen to him in his past since he growls when touching the rear legs (unless it could be hurting him in some way when rubbing) ...it is so sad how some people treat their pets. He was lucky to find you.

Thanks :) Teddy is surely different than any dog I've ever owned! He makes me laugh every day. Quite different personality from my lab, but they compliment each other nicely :) I plan to do some obedience class with him this summer. He has been a bit of a challenge for me to train. My lab was trained for me so I'm a novice at training a dog, but he has learned sit, shake, and sometimes will go in the down position with a treat, but pops right back up. He also has learned to wait for his food bowl to be put down and to not to eat until I say okay.

I'll be keeping watch on his legs. Maybe it just bothers me to see the shaking and it isn't anything to be concerned about.

Teddy reminds me of my old dog, Nicholas. His back legs shook the whole 9+ years we had him, but he never growled when touched there, either. When the rescue folks found him, his fur was so overgrown and matted that he was unable to walk properly, and he was in this mess long enough to cause permanent muscle atrophy. He wasn't in pain, and lived to be about 15. We still miss him everyday. Thank you for rescuing Teddy, I hope he guys have as long and wonderful time together as we did.

Thank you! I love Teddy! I'll try and get a picture posted soon of him :)

Back