Share Your Best of Times Stories

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Describe a nice memorable experience you had together with your cocker(s).

I'd like to share our trips to Owen Sound, Ontario. We live in the city (Detroit area) and there's not much scenery except manufacturing plants, asphalt and concrete. Sometimes I feel Gabby gets bored at home taking the same walk through the same side streets day after day. Owen Sound was a perfect diversion for Gabby with lots of nature trails and waterfalls. We visited as many waterfalls as we could and traveled along the Lake Huron coastline. Gabby was always the first one out of the car and the first one to get wet and muddy. Gabby even had fun on the drive there and back watching cows and horses on the open fields as we passed by.

I don't know how you measure happiness on a dog's face but I think managed capture it on film.

Manuel!
What a great picture of you and Gabby! The sound must be so beautiful!
I will have to think about this, and I will post when I get home from work.

This is a thread that I bet we can keep going forever! We all have such wonderful memories with our babies, past and present!

Manuel, thanks for thinking of it!

I myself have way to many to post forsure.
Each dog has so many that I just think mostly every day that
we have togather is so memorable in so many ways.
Of corse there has been some not so memorable times too that I would like to just forget.

So I guess I can not just pick one. SORRY

Anita, you can post as many as you want. I'd be interested in reading any of your stories. :dog:

Before this current life of mine, I worked as a Physiotherapist in a rural area. It was a good job, but really challenging, and due to many reasons, I had to leave that job. When it first happened, I was really depressed and just wanted to sleep all the time. I had 5 dogs at the time, and they were the ONLY reason I ever got out of bed or off the couch. I fed and pottied them, and then went back to laying down. All of those dogs, even the very active puppy (Billy's mom) would lay all around me, each dog touching some part of me. Because of the change in jobs, I re-homed one of those dogs and returned another one to its breeder, but I'll never forget how they made this "circle of love" almost, to remind me that I had a reason to be happy and thankful and to get up.

Here is one of my most wonderful memories and the reason that Pogo didn't go to another home when we rescued him for Cockers in Need. My Mother had become very very ill, this was her last journey out of our world into the next. I remember sitting in my chair, just crying and crying. My crew didn't know what to do. They did sit around me, looking up at me, but my Pogo has always claimed the back of my chair as his own. He left the back and laid on my lap, which he never does. He turned on his back and just laid there looking up at me with those cocker eyes... I melted and told Linny he wasn't going anywhere, not that I needed a sixth dog!

Linny has a wonderful tribute to my mother on her website. You can access it from her homepage by clicking on the CruzPups tab. It makes me cry everytime I visit it.

I have many wonderful memories of my cockers, past and present. We should keep this thread going!

KLADCkrs said:
Before this current life of mine...but I'll never forget how they made this "circle of love" almost, to remind me that I had a reason to be happy and thankful and to get up.
It's great to hear your doggies were able to lift your spirits when you needed it the most. They can be little miracle workers. :luv:

Polly said:
Here is one of my most wonderful memories and the reason that Pogo didn't go to another home...

That's the great thing about unconditional love. They are always here for us even if they didn't start out as being part of our family (like Pogo). Thanks for showing me your mother's tribute. That's a great way of remembering her by. I can see how (dog) fosters get attached to dogs over time. You could see how the pups appearance changed (for the better) through all the pictures. I love happy endings. They don't happen too often in the real world. :luv:

My favourite happy ending is actually for a Cocker I rescued . . . her name is Taffy. It has been almost 2 years since I saved her from being put to sleep at an SPCA 6 hours from me, because she was blind. The shelter manager contacted a rescue in another province who passed the email on to me.

Taffy was roughly 6 when I got her - she'd been picked up as a stray. She'd had multiple litters and not a very easy life. It took 4 truck drivers to catch her, she was so spooked.

I cleaned her up and got her spayed and vetted, and she learned about living in a house. She was housetrained very quickly, and did well here. I was worried that I'd have trouble finding her a home because of her lack of vision. I advertised her lots, and got a few inquiries, but nothing that felt right. Then some good family friends came over for a summer BBQ and I happened to introduce them to Taffy. They had never owned dogs, but something clicked, and the woman (Karen) took a liking to Taffy. She came almost every day to walk her, and even babysat her while I was out of town at a dog show. Taffy never came back here.

This woman, who had never owned a dog, is a true convert now. She is a HUGE supporter of the local shelter, donating time and energy more than most. She supports both Cockers in Need and Life's Little Paws, since both of those rescues helped me out BIG time with Taffy's vet bills, even though she wasn't one of theirs. And she LOVES this little dog. Taffy has a better life than most dogs, and she is happy as a clam. She had her eyes removed this past summer due to several issues, and she has a new lease on life.

Karen thanks me all the time for introducing her to one of life's greatest pleasures - a furry friend and soul mate. When I see them together, it never fails to warm my heart.

Kelly both your rescues are very nice dogs. Taffy is really a cute girl.

I was watching the Los Angeles East Valley Shelter website and saw a cute little cocker girl on it. I watched it and watched it and no one adopted her. I told Linny I was going to go and see why. She was blind and ill. We brought her home.. She was a matted mess. She had was pregnat and had had lots and lots of litters. Whe was so ill that my vet spayed her, she would have lost the litter anyway. And, that's how we got Tunie..

Oh Manuel,if I half to post something this would be it and probably many of you have heard my ANGEL STORY befor.
~~~

7 years ago (soon to be) I lost my Emily at the age of 10 1/2.
I got Emily a red and white 9 week old baby from Gallant Cockers here in Michigan after a freind had got 2 black and whites from them and I just adored there two,they looked so healthy.Emily was the only pup they had at that time.
I lost me Ashley just 2 days before due to so many medical problems and only 8 yrs.old. I knew when I got Emily I wanted a Cocker from a well known breeder as I was hopeing not to have so many medical problems as I did with Ashley.

Emily was very healthy till age was catching up with her body at 10 1/2.
Suddendly I lost Emily to Kidney desease. Our Vet tryed everything she could to reverse the desease with flushing for 5 days.

After loosing Emily I said I would never put my self thru this again of loosing my best friend,it tore me up so bad as she went down hill soooo fast.
So for one month I cryed day and night.I had not even one thought about getting another dog and I never have been with out one in my 50+ years of life.Something just keep telling me not to get one.
My poor hubby,he finally said (if you don;t find your self another dog I am going to the pound and bring one home for you) I thought OH NO HE ISN'T I DON:T WANT ANOTHER DOG.

Than over the computer comes a picture of this little male tri-color puppy. OMG he was so cute but he was a male and I prefer females. (Patty ,BLUEJAY a member here had been serching the internet for breeders close by me and had sent me this picture ^_^.She had told me several times I needed to get another dog,I keep saying no.
I did tell Patty that I have called about a few in the local paper,one guy lived in a TOMATO RED house I told her,we laughed about it and to today still do.I also called Gallant Cockers and several other Michigan well known breeders that same day but if any of them had anything it was males.I also would have taken a rescue Cocker but at that time there was none.

Well after looking at this tri male puppy my hubby said call them. They were a Illinois breeder( Janado Cockers) not Michigan but he said call..Il is not that far.
Well I did and after a few days she e -mailed me back saying they decided to give up one of the females also if I was interested,and sent me a picture of cute little (now Hannah) at age of 4 months old.
I showed my husband and the next day we were headed to Illinois to take a peek. The little boy was so cute (naturally at 4 months old they all are) but I still wanted a female if I got one. So the lady brought me the female.
Hubby picked her up,handed the lady the money,didn't give me time to think,put her in the car (forwhich we had brought a cage) and the rest is history^_^
This to me has been I guess a few of the best memorable moments that I have is times when I invite a new baby in to out home.
I TODAY BELIEVE THAT MY ANGEL EMILY KEPT ME WAIT FOR THAT MONTH WHEN I WAS TELLING MYSELF THAT I DID NOT WANT ANOTHER DOG AS I COULD NOT GO THRU THIS ANYMORE WITH LOOSING THEM :crybaby: AS SHE HAD THIS LITTLE GAL PICKED OUT FOR ME ALL ALONG.

KLADCkrs said:
My favourite happy ending is actually for a Cocker I rescued . . . her name is Taffy...

Taffy is sleeping so restfully in that bottom pic. Looks like she was finally able to rest after living as a stray for so long. Thanks for sharing. :luv:

Anita said:
7 years ago (soon to be) I lost my Emily at the age of 10 1/2. I got Emily a red and white 9 week old baby from Gallant Cockers here in Michigan...

I know how much you love Hannah so it must have been fate, your online friends like Patty, your hubby, and help from a little cocker angel that brought Hannah to you. Thanks for sharing. :luv:

I just love hearing Hannah's story. She is a beautiful girl. I love hearing of her parents and brothers and sisters show career also.

Manuel tell us the story of you getting Gabby!

I love him to death but I didn't appreciate my wife buying him without asking AND using my credit card to pay for him. :rolleyes: Plus, he was an fussy puppy. I heard somewhere to pick a puppy that likes being held. I'm glad to have him though and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

I love him to death but I didn't appreciate my wife buying him without asking AND using my credit card to pay for him. :rolleyes: Plus, he was an fussy puppy. I heard somewhere to pick a puppy that likes being held. I'm glad to have him though and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

Your love of Gabby shows right through Manuel! And, you know the old saying... it's better to ask forgiveness than permission!:p

If it had not been for Angel Emily i would have never ever became very good friends with Anita - thank you Emily & Daffney for bringing me and Anita together........Hannah is special to me but Emily will always have a place in my heart.

If it had not been for Angel Emily i would have never ever became very good friends with Anita - thank you Emily & Daffney for bringing me and Anita together........Hannah is special to me but Emily will always have a place in my heart.

Oh Cheryl those were the days that with Emily and the computer I met so many of you nice people,You,Polly and Patty were some of the first.Since than there has been many more forsure.How time has flown and waters have run over the dam (so they say.)
Isn't it strange how a dog can bring friends togather in so many different ways.

Oh Cheryl those were the days that with Emily and the computer I met so many of you nice people,You,Polly and Patty were some of the first.Since than there has been many more forsure.How time has flown and waters have run over the dam (so they say.)
Isn't it strange how a dog can bring friends togather in so many different ways.

So true Anita. We all have our love of the breed in common.

Back