Should I be concerned?

Heidi L

Hello, I am new to the forum and am pretty desperate for some input on the puppy we are going to be taking home soon. She is about 6 weeks old, currently. Recently, I became aware of the merle mutation in the breed and realized that my own pup might have the gene as her eyes are a clear blue color and she has no color in her nose. I had no idea that this was as thing at all, am slightly panicked now. Should I be concerned for future health issues? We do plan on having her spayed and she will not have any litters. In addition to the coloring concerns, her eyes appear to be a bit googly at times. Is that strabismus, or just because she a puppy and not indicative of underlying health issues?
20525574_1516744698408657_1329448484854321044_n.jpg 20476376_1516744585075335_2239039165524928537_n.jpg 36342201335_cdfac73607_o.jpg

She does have nose color. It's light brown from what I see. They would be blind from birth. She appears perfectly fine so don't worry. She is young still and their eye color often change when they get a little older. If you think she has the merle gene you can have her DNA checked: Merle

I would definitely have her checked if you plan on breeding her.

Glad you aren't planning on breeding her. My Farley carries a merle gene and we've had no health issues relating to it. He's now 6 years old. Your Puppy's nose does appear to be brown. My daughter's cocker has the same nose color and a very similar coat color to your pup. As for the eyes, many cocker puppies have sort of googlie eyes. I don't believe your puppy is pure merle. She doesn't have strict merle color. She's not blind. I assume she can hear.

No one can claim to know what a puppy's future health will be but she shouldn't have any special health issues. She's an adorable puppy. Now go enjoy her.

She does have nose color. It's light brown from what I see. They would be blind from birth. She appears perfectly fine so don't worry. She is young still and their eye color often change when they get a little older. If you think she has the merle gene you can have her DNA checked: Merle

I would definitely have her checked if you plan on breeding her.
Thank you for your input, we don't plan on breeding her, and her hearing and sight do appear to be just fine. Much appreciated!

Glad you aren't planning on breeding her. My Farley carries a merle gene and we've had no health issues relating to it. He's now 6 years old. Your Puppy's nose does appear to be brown. My daughter's cocker has the same nose color and a very similar coat color to your pup. As for the eyes, many cocker puppies have sort of googlie eyes. I don't believe your puppy is pure merle. She doesn't have strict merle color. She's not blind. I assume she can hear.

No one can claim to know what a puppy's future health will be but she shouldn't have any special health issues. She's an adorable puppy. Now go enjoy her.

Thank you! We are taking Gracie home this Sunday and these replies have eased my fears! Phew, I was panicking unnecessarily. Much appreciation :D

Back