Show dog owners?

Nellie

Raising baby Emily!
Owned by
1 cocker
I saw pictures of how some show dogs that are Cockers look when they stack, it looks really great. Can anyone help me teach my puppy to stack properly? :)

I saw pictures of how some show dogs that are Cockers look when they stack, it looks really great. Can anyone help me teach my puppy to stack properly? :)

I suggest you go to a conformation class in your area. A lot of obedience training centers offer classes for conformation. There you can ask an instructor or another Cocker person to evaluate your puppy.

Did you purchase a show quality puppy?

The 'stack' It is not a natural position for a dog that is not constructed properly...meaning they cannot do it comfortably. A show dog has specific proportions and angles that for them, it IS a natural position and they can #1 do it on their own or #2 with a light touch be held 'still'

It is not something you can teach a dog. They either can or can't do it. When we stack a dog it is simply a 'stand for examination' and was instead taught to 'stay'

I hope I explained that well

Well said Gina.
When we practice at home for the ring, I use the phrase 'Let's play showdog' and they know to get down to business. For the stack, I use both 'stack' when positioning on the table or floor and then 'stay'. My Hershey will freeze into position now and pretty much stay there until I release him. I do try to make it fun for them and keep the sessions short in comparison to their age. And of course lots of treats! ;)

Thanks Gina, I spent quite a bit of time thinking about how to reply yesterday.

With my old dog Farley, he always "fought" being stacked. He had slips, although I didn't know that when he was being shown. The slipping kneecaps made stacking really hard for him.

I definitely agree that going to a handling or conformation class (two names for the same thing) would be beneficial. It's hard to explain how to stack a dog without demonstrating.

Thanks to everyone who replied. But to be clear, I'm not interested in showing her, I just thought itd be fun to try. We practiced a little today and she almost had it down. I'll need to take a picture to show. ^_^

Back