Skin irratations

ElizabethCampagna

my cocker Lacey baby has been dealing with skin irratations , dry spots. Not exactly sure what. She has been on antibiotics a few times and it goes away. Then it comes back. We have switched her food to grain free. We have her on a medicated shampoos. Nothing seem to help this stay away. We are about to put her on a salmon sensitive skin food to see if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 16
Welcome Elizabeth. Your doing good by using grain free and medicated shampoos. Shampoo as needed. At least you know antibiotics help but infections may be secondary due to irritation. The best advice is having her skin tested for allergens by your vet and find the cause.

Fleas also cause skin irritation. Lacey is light colored so it should be easy to see fleas and flea dirt on her.

Welcome Elizabeth. I know other members have gone thru what you are now with your Lacey. DJ took one of her girls to a dermatologist and discovered exactly what her allergies were.
Sometimes we have to go to extra lengths to find what the problems are.

I currently have two cockers. My old guy has a great coat, always has. My Pye's (brown cocker in the pictures) seems to run on the dry side. Seems like every time I take him into the vets, my vet says his coat is dry.
It's now looking good, at least to me, I will be interested to see what my Vet says on his next visit. Currently he's on Taste of the Wild grain free and salmon freeze dried raw for breakfast, and the same kibble at night with my home made puppy stew on top for dinner. Both meals get a scoop of Show Stopper which is a powdered omega supplement for coats.

Welcome Elizabeth. Your doing good by using grain free and medicated shampoos. Shampoo as needed. At least you know antibiotics help but infections may be secondary due to irritation. The best advice is having her skin tested for allergens by your vet and find the cause.

Fleas also cause skin irritation. Lacey is light colored so it should be easy to see fleas and flea dirt on her.
Thank you :). She has no fleas. And since I have posted this, her rash has worsen and now she has looks like fleas bites but not really fleas bites on her. So maybe it's a reaction to the shampoo. She has another doctor appointment Thursday. So the doctor who declined her antibiotics and put her on shampoo can see this. Least with antibiotics it does clear up but. A month or 2 later it comes back. Next we'll be allergy testing. I personally am going to switch out her dog food ( well Start to ) tomorrow, to soy base and fish instead and chicken or beef. Then I'm going to switch laundry detergent from tide to maybe a dye free or a baby gentle detergent. She could have an allergy to that. ( not sure if that is possible but hey I'm gonna try everything ) last but not least if all my options still fail. She will have to get tested for allergies.

Elizabeth, I am going thru the same thing with my older American cocker named Spice. He is 9 now and about 3 years ago he started having these issues with his skin, looks just like what yours has. At first it was a couple times a year, then it increased to just about all the time. I finally had him tested, had to drive 7 hrs to the nearest animal hospital that did allergy testing. Turns out he's allergic to just about every grass and weed out there, and dust. I have him on allergy shots now its been exactly one year since we started them. I have to tell you I almost gave up several times because he got worse at first, real bad, and I felt so bad about it. Actually he has only just in the past 2-3 months settled down, he still gets a couple spots now and then usually right after a shot, its once a month now for the shot. I also have him on a special pill, I'll have to get its name for you, but it's to prevent itching, and it really helps, because if he has a spot appear its the scratching that spreads it to other places on the body. I'll post later with the name of the medicine. I still use the medicated shampoo on him. My baby is on raw freeze dried food, a bit expensive but I'm trying everything I can to help. I also keep Spice's fur as short as I can (makes treating his spots easier) using scissors rather then clippers so as to not spread the condition, but I'm starting to think I may be able to let his fur grow back and he won't look so butchered up with the cut I've been giving him. I included a pic of his side after the allergy testing.

Attachments

• Spice in Tie.JPG
    Spice in Tie.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Spice.JPG
    Spice.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Spice Allergy testing.JPG
    Spice Allergy testing.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
Awe poor baby :(. I wanted to do the allergy test but the price is just out of my budget. :(. I have asked if they could do a blood test. I found one vet that will do the allergy test through blood. But still a lot of money.
Lacey has had 2 small breakouts since I have first posted this.
We have changed her food to beef not chicken and she is on a once a week bath with medicated shampoo.
We keep her hair short as well to help with the outside world. Thank you so very much for reaching out. I'm glad your baby is doing better

The name of the pills that have really helped Spice stop scratching is "Apoquel". If you find yours scratching a lot and spreading the condition because of it you may want to ask your vet about these.

I had a doxie who used to get similar looking rashes from red ant bites. Also dogs are like people and can be allergic to just about anything - grass, laundry detergent etc so it could be contact dermatitis

sorry you're dealing with this its an awful pain

Mss Zoey had a terrible coat when we got her. Stiff and bristly and so very much dandruff and she was itchy.
She got switched to Horizon pulses fish formula when she moved in and she truly doesn't even look like the same dog.
Her hair is very soft and her skin is soft and pink. As much as I can't stand the smell of their food, it has been amazing for both dogs.

That food recommendation is a good tip to tuck away for the future just in case. She is only two and so far....so good....but just in case.

I had this with our last cocker, she needed a month long regimine of cephalexin every few months . My vet said she had inflammation and irritation from allergies and she got staph in it. We were never able to stop it but she lived until almost 16 comfortable most times. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have put her on raw food, that is what we have done with our current dogs. They were both having issues with yeast and food. They are much better, still scratching some but skin clear. Where we live now I think there is allergy to the environment too. There are several quality raw diets available, choose one with the least possible ingredients and a novelty protein they have not had. Good luck

Back