tail docking

bruno

Owned by
1 cocker
Hello everyone !!
My parent and my dog's vet want to dock my dog's tail. I am a little concerned so I read about tail docking and it said that people used to do that because they used cocker spaniels as hunters so I thought that since he is a pet for me so he doesn't have to do any "hunt" it is better not to dock his tail. What do you think about it and if you think like I do can you please sent me something that I can show to them? Thank you!!

How old is your dog and is there a reason they want to dock his tail? Usually this is done when a puppy is only days old. If your dog is older this could be very painful and a much bigger surgery on a much bigger tail bone then it is on a little puppy with small bones.

Unless there is a medical reason for the docking it isn't necessary in a pet and many American Cocker Spaniels living in Europe do not have docked tails. Some countries have banned it.

That being said, both my cocker spaniels have docked tails but it was done when they were only days old.

Is this a newly born puppy you're getting in the future? Frankly, I'm a little shocked that a vet would recommend docking a tail once the dog is more than a few days old unless there is a medical reason. Has the dog's tail been repeatedly broken and is not healing well? Thats the only legitimate reason I've ever heard of once the dog is past a week old. If I remember correctly, tails are usually done on days 3-5 after birth.

In breeds where ears are docked, they are done a little later ~ around 6 -8 weeks but it is a more involved surgery which requires anesthesia.

ETA: I'd run screaming from any vet who suggested docking a tail past a week old unless its for a medical reason. And to be honest, I cant stand dogs with a tail! Princess has a long tail. I cant stand it. I'm forever stepping on it or sitting on it. But for better or worse, its there to stay.

I have seen many English Cocker Spaniels without a docked tail and it looks lovely. I never even thought about it with Fiona....her tail was docked (probably when she was quite young) and it never occurred to me that it might have been left natural. I have noticed that in Europe, many owners leave their dogs in a natural state....tails not docked and ears not cropped and they can be shown and it is considered quite acceptable. It is becoming more common now in the States as well. Does anyone know why the tails of spaniels are docked because they used them to hunt?

Does anyone know why the tails of spaniels are docked because they used them to hunt?
This is a practice perpetuated by breeders. Breeders are afraid no one will buy their pups without docked tails. I'm sure if a buyer requests an undocked pup the breeder will oblige.

I'd love to be able to get my puppy (when I finally get her) w/an undocked tail. But, I don't know that I'd have time to run up to the breeders when the pups are born and choose one right away. Of course, if they're not planning on docking the tails, that's fine w/me.

While I love my girls constantly moving stub (if her eyes are open, that stub is moving) but I honestly wouldn't care either way....I would adore her because she is my girl and doubt it would affect my decision as to which pup I would choose. I tried to choose temperament as best I could from the littermates--although I'm certainly no expert in dog behavior---who knows when they are that little---really?? (I tried to pick one that wasn't really shy and seemed more confident).

When I got my first cocker, she chose me. She crawled in my lap. None of the others did.

Tails are docked when puppies are between 3-5 days old. When Cockers are born you can see and feel on the tail where it should be docked. Docking tails when dogs are older is considered an amputation. Should only be done for a medical reason.

I wouldn't do it. I picked Mocha out when he was 2 days old, and said I didn't want his tail docked. It is beautiful, can be painful on occasion because of its power, and yes sometimes it even gets stepped on, but I think docking is a cruel practice.

I'm late here but I hope you didn't, you'll love that wagging tail! It will make you smile after a long day and I believe they love showing their excitement!
It's your dog stand firm, you'll be glad you did. Tail waggers are the best!

In Scotland tail docking is illegal except for working dogs. I watched a rescue dog show recently where a dog had been adopted and trained to work as a police sniffer dog. He had to have his tail docked because he had damaged it by wagging it too forcefully and if this continued gangrene would set in.

Here in the States they do not dock working cockers' tails at all....or at least I haven't seen any docked tails on them that I can remember.

Back