Teaching Garry to groom

Fostermom

Owned by
Over 10 cockers
Ok, he's helped me a hundred times and watched even more times, but last night I decided to just hand him the clippers.

Chip was really looking terrible. He had what looked like a spider on his head and for the first time EVER, I saw a few matts on his back. Never had back mats before.

SO, I sit down and tell him to pull skin taught at neck. Uh, he didn't understand. OMG Show and tell, and I did a little bit, showing him, and had to keep reminding him to use the clippers harder, he was taking too light of a pass.

Told him to just zoom down his back/tail/neck/sides. BAHAHAHA, he needs a doggy anatomy lesson. Showed him how to go with lines of fur. If fur starts to head down the sides, make your clippers do the same thing :eek: He got confused. He pretty much sucks at something if he doesn't want to do it.

BUT, he needs to learn the basics, just in case.

I did his ears and head and face, with him watching and had him do a little bit of Chips neck so he 'got it'.

I only trimmed his paws - left his legs long hehehee, but at least he's tidy'd up and not all fuzzy like a bear. I tried to show him how to just lightly take off some of the bulk at thigh, but that would have sent me over the edge I think. I was trying to compare it to mowing the lawn, BAHAHAHA cause he had a few rows on his back that needed to be gone over a second time.

I was going to continue and have him do a little bit on each one but I needed a few xanax after that lesson. Plus, Chip was a baboon on the table. He farted in my face :p and kept sitting down.

One of these days I'll have more time hopefully to really show him how to do a decent trim up.

Anyone else ever try to teach your husband how to groom?

Garry is the greatest guy! Yes, mowing lawns is much more his style, but he'll give dog grooming a try. And knowing Garry, he will get it, and when he is better than you are, you will be soooo pissed!!! lol

Anyone else ever try to teach your husband how to groom?

Yeah, about that. LOL it is hard enough to get him to understand the concept of "brush first then comb" when brushing them out. He doesn't want to learn to clip cause then I might ask him to do one of the three. Once doing it he might do well as he is as bit of a perfectionist.

LOl my hubby took it upon himself to groom our 10 yr old Cookie last year after I had my gastric bypass and I told him before surgery he couldn't touch Stormy, Asha, Allee or Rona (Hersh hadn't been born yet). You talk about BUTCHERED!!!!!!But he was all proud of himself so I didn't say anything. Poor Cook!

Back