TECA--anyone considering, have experiences?

Patti T

We have it scheduled for one ear, which is completely blocked. He is a four year old intact male. He suffers from allergies(unidentified, but responsive to medication), and the dermatologist insists hes in pain, despite acting normally. I am curious to hear others experiences. Thank you.

I am seeking advice from anyone who has experience of TECA total ear canal ablation. My English cocker has suffered for years with otitis externa in both ears but in one ear predominantly. After all else has failed, and now a diagnosis of pseudomonus in the bad ear, I have been advised to have this done in both ears, though one is much worse than the other. One has to be done - no option there, but I can't make the decision whether to do both.

Does anyone have experience of the impact of this on the dog, and especially of both ears being done. My vet and the v experienced vet surgeon are worried about the 2nd ear going downhill once we reduce the steroids he is currently on, and they feel that one double op might be preferable to putting him through the single op twice. He is aged 7, very healthy and fit. On the other hand his best ear might never get so bad to need the op but how do we know. I feel so sorry for my little pet. It's a horrible choice to make. Help please x

Hello Mirsey. Sorry about your pet. I hope someone can reply to your question.

I'm sorry to say but my Tasha had two total ablations, in both ears. This was back in 2004. This was a hard experience, I wanted to do what was right for her, yet I was afraid of the results. What I did learn was to find a Vet who uses laser surgery. With laser surgery it didn't take as long and the healing process was faster. Although I was told she would never hear, I found she could, maybe it was nothing more than sensing when we called, but she responded. She was my service dog and never failed to alert me. Early in her training I was told to use hand signals as well a speech, always worked using both. She had a fast recovery and was back to being a puppy.

The hard part at that time was having our Vet (different than who did surgery) tell us that Tasha needed surgery on her ears, while her groomer said no. We did go for the second opinion and met with Dr. Borash, he did the actual surgery. He took the time to show us her x-rays, explain the procedure, showed us his equipment, and we even met another dog owner who went through this procedure. He understood exactly what Tasha meant to me.

Do you have any specific question that I might be able to answer? BTW, the photo in my profile is Tasha, she was 12 when she passed. I miss her so much, even today. I know have Tasha 2.0 a chocolate cocker spaniel, also my service dog Here is Tasha 2.0

tasha2.jpg

Thanks Gordon for your reply and advice. I was not even aware of the laser option so I will ask, I have an appointment on Thurs with the surgeon. I live in Ireland and my dog is going to the main university hospital so he is in the most experienced hands that I can access. Unfortunately I think the decision to go ahead will happen quickly after that, due to worries about the nasty bug spreading and possibly causing a life-threatening problem. He also seems way more out of sorts in the last few days. It is reassuring that Tasha could hear or sense things after it, that's what I had read but it's good to hear a lived experience. At the moment his hearing is unreal, even with his ear problem he can hear a piece of food hitting the ground from half a house away, and I would so miss that! Both Tashas are beautiful. I am not using my usual computer or I would put up a pic of my Ralph, he's golden and has a longer face but there are a lot of similarities. Thanks again and lots of health to Tasha 2.0

Hello Gordon..and an update for anyone who will read this in the future. My dog ended up getting a total ablation in both ears. It mafe no sense to just do one, as the management of the better one would have had to continue and we were concerned about the constant painkillers, steroids etc. It is a tough operation and all the risks they point out pre-surgery are frightening.

But I am happy to report the outcome has been very good. My dog can no longer hear but this seems to have very little negative impact on his happiness. He can hear deep sounds like a man's loud voice or a bang, but otherwise very little. (We can now open the fridge door in peace!!). However even without his hearing he is a much much happier dog than before the surgery, now pain free and medication free, playing like a puppy and acting more alive than I have seen in a long time. There have been some issues with facial paralysis but the vets feel this is temporary, and it is a much smaller problem than the constant ear infections.

I wish anyone who has to make this decision the best of luck.

Hello Gordon..and an update for anyone who will read this in the future. My dog ended up getting a total ablation in both ears. It mafe no sense to just do one, as the management of the better one would have had to continue and we were concerned about the constant painkillers, steroids etc. It is a tough operation and all the risks they point out pre-surgery are frightening.

But I am happy to report the outcome has been very good. My dog can no longer hear but this seems to have very little negative impact on his happiness. He can hear deep sounds like a man's loud voice or a bang, but otherwise very little. (We can now open the fridge door in peace!!). However even without his hearing he is a much much happier dog than before the surgery, now pain free and medication free, playing like a puppy and acting more alive than I have seen in a long time. There have been some issues with facial paralysis but the vets feel this is temporary, and it is a much smaller problem than the constant ear infections.

I wish anyone who has to make this decision the best of luck.
Thanks for the information and I'm glad your dog is doing better.

Back