Teddy Has Diarrhea

lori

Owned by
2 cockers
Teddy has had diarrhea now for 3 days, multiple times. Should I be worried? Is the best thing to give him pumpkin? The only thing different he got this week was some cantaloupe pieces and some fresh veggies I got at the farmer's market (but he gets veggies on a regular basis).

Thanks!

Yes try the pumpkin. If that doesn't work then I'd go to the vet unless he's already in distress? And in that case I'd just go to the vet.

Thanks, Robin. He doesn't seem to be in distress at all, acting his normal self so far. I'll get some pumpkin for him. Should I still be feeding him his food or just try the pumpkin by itself? The only other thing going on with him is that he is limping again for about a week. You can especially notice it when he tries to get up from a lying down position to sitting and then starting out walking. He also still is running and jumping, but I'm trying to keep him from at least jumping. Not sure if the 2 are related, but the other times he had what we think is a low back problem, he didn't have the diarrhea.

Last edited:
Has he had cantaloupe before? Farley has issues with some fruit. I usually give the pumpkin with food it if it doesn't stop after a couple of days, I'd consult the vet.

No, he hasn't had cantaloupe that I can remember. He does well with everything I've given him before, so I didn't think twice about giving him some. Chuck had the same things and he doesn't have it. Hoping that is all it is and stay away from it. I called the vet and they said to give him boiled rice and chicken and come in tomorrow if the diarrhea persists. I'm going to get pumpkin too and maybe try that first and see if that firms things up.

Get the pure pumpkin and not pie filling. If mine do not response to the pumpkin I take to Vet. It helps with soft stools but if he has watery stools not sure if the pumpkin would clear it up. I hope Teddy gets to feeling better soon.

IME even better than pumpkin is taking 1 sweet potato, 1 reg potato and 1 leek and boiling them till mushy. blend together like mashed potato. Add back in the water it was boiled in so its just on the verge of being runny.

I make up a batch in muffin tins and then freeze so I always have some on hand for emergencies.

Since its summer and its been 3 days, keep a careful eye on him and make sure he's staying hydrated. meat broth or a little tea and honey can tempt them into drinking more. Since its been 3 days, I might break out the 'big guns' and also make some slippery elm tea with honey.

Also think about your vet's hours... might be better to take him in tomorrow am if you can get a reg appt rather than taking a chance that you're really worried on Sun when it becomes a trip to an emergency vet.

I hope he's better quickly

Usually what I do is when diarrhea begins is to skip a meal. Give them a few hrs fast. I usually go and buy some fresh turkey and boil it. I feed the turkey and some cooked sweet potato. I usually feed that mixture for a few days instead of their own food. Once their stool firms up I wait a day then I gradually start giving them their own food again. Hope Teddy gets better soon.

No, and now Chuck started having it Friday night. Might have to bring a sample in tomorrow. They're not looking sick or anything. Teddy I actually didn't see him go, but he probably did in the tall grass at the dog park that I couldn't get at, but nothing tonight.

Thanks, Nicole. I've been doing chicken and rice and then some pumpkin. I tried not to feed them this morning and actually got to about 2 this afternoon, but Chuck was going crazy and making me crazy so I ended up giving them a little bit of rice and chicken.

We had that virus happen last year when I was fostering, so miserable. If they're still that way, but seem fine otherwise, I'd take stool samples into the vet. They can run the labs, even if they can't schedule an appointment right away.

Hope they get better soon. Sounds like a plan to take stool samples in just to make sure.

I dropped a sample of Teddy's stool office this morning. It was actually softly formed, but looked like some mucus in it. I should be getting a call this afternoon on it. Vet said he has treated several dogs recently with giardia, so we'll see.

Teddy's stool came back positive for Coccidia, so both dogs are going to be treated.

Glad that you found a culprit for the diarrhea, hope they are both feeling better soon.

Back