Teeth ?

BlueJay

Owned by
1 cocker
I never thought to look into Ruffian's mouth until I smelled an odor. He has tartar on his teeth and his gums in certain parts are red, as though they were bleeding, however, they are not. He's going in to have this addressed, but I was wondering if this could be an infection? Any comments would be welcomed. TIA.

Patti, Ruffian & Asia Behr......honorary Cocker members

It sounds like he just needs a good tooth cleaning . . . which I'm sure your vet will tell you that when you take him in today.

Depending on how red they are it could be the start of an infection. Glad you're taking him in so soon before it gets to periodontal disease.
Before I became a dog groomer I was in the people dental field :)

In my experience at work an oral infection has a strong sewer smell that will knock you off your feet. It's not the usual morning breath smell. Gabby cracked one of his molars and I could tell something was wrong because he wouldn't let me brush his teeth. I think he snapped at me too. I would take Ruffian to the vet and have those teeth looked at. Maybe it's time for a cleaning.

Patti, we have got to get you an avatar and some pics in your album. Send some pics to Polly or me and we'll take care of for you. Just tell us which pic you want as your avatar. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the responses. I have to wait until next week to take him in as I work two hours smack in the middle of the day. The vet is a good distance away. I loved that vet, he took such good care of Wolfie and I've been staying with him rather than going local, which would make life easier @@

Patti, Ruffian and Asia Behr.....honorary Cocker Members

I would have his teeth cleaned and then start giving him dog bones or try the Nylabone Dental Chew Bone. It worked great for my dog it has little ridges that help reduce tarter when the dog chews on it. Also if you feed your dog a lot of wet food this could be another reason why the tarter is so bad.

Back