Terrified/Fearful of strangers, HELP.

macyck

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my 2 year old English cocker spaniel. :(

He is terrified of STRANGERS. He is perfectly fine when they walk past and doing his own thing. but if and when they approach him, or show him affection (touch him or talk to him), he will be scared and back off and sometimes if the person is persistent he will start barking. :( He was not like this when he was young. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

FYI: I bring him on 30mins on-leash walks and 20 mins off-leash park daily.

Crystal

Crystal, why not look into a class that you and your baby could attend together? It would be fun, and the trainer
could evaluate his fear and teach you how to better handle him during stressful situations.

A class is great. Also do you have something like a Starbucks with an outside seating area? If so take your pup and some very high value treats with you. Get yourself a coffee and sit outside with your pup. As people walk by ask some of them to give your pup a treat. Soon your pup will associate strangers with good treats and hope fully lose his fear.

A class is great. Also do you have something like a Starbucks with an outside seating area? If so take your pup and some very high value treats with you. Get yourself a coffee and sit outside with your pup. As people walk by ask some of them to give your pup a treat. Soon your pup will associate strangers with good treats and hope fully lose his fear.
Great idea Karen!

Thanks Polly I've got help from a behavioral trainer, class starts on 1june. *fingers crossed*. Thanks Karen for the great idea. I'll put that into action asap :)

Keep you'll posted.

The more you expose them to, the better off you'll be.

Exactly...socialize, socialize socialize. Once they are old enough and have all their shots, they need to be exposed to lots of differant noises (you acting like there is no noise) sights and smells.

Yes Socialize socialize socialize. Both Classy and April were afraid when they came to me. I worked with them by teaching them some obstacles (agility) and took them on walks. I would take them to Petsmart or petco with Amelia. Each of them got more confident by walking near a confident dog. Oh yes plenty of treats and I do use the clicker. Glad you are starting a class. Good luck to you.

What everybody else said. Take her everywhere you can get away with. Starting slowly, with calmer, quieter places, on up, Petsmart is a great idea. The classes will help so much.

My male was the same way. He was so scared if it was anyone but me, even for some of my family members.

I contacted a local dog behavior/training group and explained that Apollo already knew his commands but I wanted to socialize him.

I paid the class fee and we attended the classes. First we sat on one side of a separator fence and once he was comfortable we sat in the side with everyone else.

A few weeks into it we were able to actively participate. Being able to see him interact with people as well as large dogs (which he was also afraid of) was amazing.

We start taking them out on car rides right away,a couple of weeks after the last round of shots we take them anywhere and everywhere that will allow dogs...Lowes,Home Depot,Bass Pro Shop,Feed Stores and Pet Stores. Doggie Daycare is also really good to help with socializing after their shots and helps build confidence in timid ones.

The Bass Pro Shop around here doesn't allow dogs! I was shocked because I know some others do. Heck I live in CA. I can take my dogs into Nordstrom and they are welcome. I couldn't believe the Bass Pro shop doesn't let dogs in there.

That is sad Karen....Bass Pro Shop is one of our favorite places to go. I thought all Bass Pro Shops allowed pets. Maybe you need to call corporate headquarters and complain...lol

Ditto Nordstrom, Starbucks, Lowe's, Home Depot, and lots of smaller places; don't know what a Brass Pro is.

Hi everyone,

UPDATE: Today, I brought fluffy for the behaviour class. And the trainer told me, that he was a mix of insecure and dominant. He was very defiant when the trainer handled and walked him. He was whining and struggling and even tried to nip her(6 times). Despite all that, the trainer was very calm and assertive, and stood her ground. She recommended crate training without the door, as well as putting a vest on the dog saying "no touch, no talk, no eye contact". to prevent strangers from entering his comfort zone. Also, she recommended me to have a long structured walk daily, with no off leash this week. and I've got to be firm with him. All along I thought fluffy was submissive, but in actual fact he was dominant. He did not want other people to come to him on their terms but on his.. ):

I hope i managed to explain the situation. it will be a long journey to rehab, but I believe it is possible. I will update again after the next class to let y'all know about the progress.

Also, if you have any recommendations do not hesitate to comment. Any help will be great :)

Cheers.

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction, good luck! I'm not sure how well known The Yellow Dog Project is (in the general population, I mean), but I see the Australian flag at the top of their page, http://www.theyellowdogproject.com

Good Luck Crystal,so glad you have found a good trainer and working with Fluffy to over come his issues.

Deborah that is very intersting,I have never heard of the Yellow Dog Project but will remember it.

Back