The end of an era

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I searched cocker spaniel on google/bing and got English cocker spaniel pictures. This is the first time I recall that happening. I've always seen pictures of American cocker spaniels pop up (at least here in the US). I've read the total number of purebred dogs is declining. If you haven't, please read this article: Have we hit rock bottom? A Century Of Numbers. Copyright 2015 Jean A. Delisle - Cockers-Worldwide Pedigree Database This was published 3 years ago and the latest information from the AKC is 2 years old so who knows what's happened since then.

Wow Manuel, that certainly is an eye opener. I have noticed less puppys shared on FB. I think Nicole is hoping for a breeding to Amelia,
She was bred but is waiting to see if it took. Robin doesn't breed or show anymore because of her health. Kelly just had a litter of 3 pups I think.

I think you might be right, Manuel. It’s getting tough to get the numbers to form a major for a show now. I think that it’s expensive to breed and show dogs and many people don’t want to put the necessary work into keeping up a cocker spaniel’s coat.

However I know there are dogs and puppies out there. Deborah added Willie to her family. He’s a retired show dog. DJ has two new girls that she got as puppies. Polly mentioned Nicole’s hope for puppies and Kelly’s three new ones.

My hope is that the future cocker spaniels are well bred and health checked. This might be controversial but I also wonder if breeding toward getting ACS back to being what they are supposed to be, small sporting dogs, not hair covered dogs that look like a dust mop, might help also. I say this with love as the owner of a dog with a beautiful full coat.

And the coat is a big reason I went for an English. I can't handle all that hair!

My hope is that the future cocker spaniels are well bred and health checked.
There's an unflattering but informative article about purebreds on Gizmodo. The American Spaniel Club Foundation (ASCF) is basically saying the same thing as you. We need to hit the reset button on cocker breeding.
GIZMODO said:
the ASCF says the the sheer number of inherited defects has reached such severe proportions that only “strict adherence to proven principles of genetic selection” will help to alleviate the problem.

And the coat is a big reason I went for an English. I can't handle all that hair!
American cocker spaniels are high maintenance dogs--there's no way around it.

There's an unflattering but informative article about purebreds on Gizmodo. The American Spaniel Club Foundation (ASCF) is basically saying the same thing as you. We need to hit the reset button on cocker breeding.

American cocker spaniels are high maintenance dogs--there's no way around it.
So true!

I think that good breeders try hard but sometimes issues don’t show up until later in dog’s life until after they’ve been bred and maybe don’t show until after that dog’s progeny have been bred.

It reminds me of my daughter and my MIL. My daughter used to be able to check the “no family member with reproductive cancer” box. Then when she was in her twenties, and past the age when many women begin their families, my MIL was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. The cancer didn’t occur until later in my MIL’s life and she’d already potentially passed the gene on to my DH and we’d maybe passed it on to our kids.

The same thing can happen to a good and caring breeder.

Several years ago there was a major problem with the cocker spaniel caused by backyard type breeding. Many of them had issues with rage and cockers got a bad reputation. Reputable breeders have worked hard to turn the cocker back to what they were supposed to be, sweet, happy dogs. It would be very sad to lose this very special dog, or any of the purebred dogs. Even now I run into people, groomers etc that feel cockers are hard dogs to deal with. Thankfully mine are great ambassadors of the breed.

Even now I run into people, groomers etc that feel cockers are hard dogs to deal with. Thankfully mine are great ambassadors of the breed.
I've heard people mention the same thing in casual conversation. Hoshi is a very sweet dog. His first reaction when he meets someone is rolling over for a belly rub. Gabby had a good temperament too.

My Hudson is an outgoing and friendly boy. He loves people and other dogs. His father, my Ryder, is skittish and somewhat shy (he was abused in his past). He’s not aggressive toward people, and is very loving once he knows someone but a little territorial with other dogs. They were both rescues from a backyard breeder. Ryder has a cataract they vet said might be either a ‘breed’ problem or it may have occurred due to an injury to his eye. Neither of them show the rage or other signs of in-breeding. But yeah.... the coat. Ryder also hates being brushed and will run away if not coaxed into cooperation.

The AKC standards say Smart, Gentle , Happy. Cockers are supposed to be merry. This describes my dogs. With proper breeding and handling these are amazing family dogs. My only regret is we are too old to properly enjoy them. They are fun loving, active dogs and Chase adores kids, sad he doesn’t get to be around them much. Chicka likes kids too, she’s just not sure what to do with them as she didn’t have them around as a youngster.

Back