The weather and grooming question

DotInFlorida

Owned by
2 cockers
I put this on the main forum thinking it might get more views than the grooming section. Feel free to move it if need be.

I am a weather geek and I volunteer with the National Weather Service as a Skywarn spotter. I have been watching the model maps lately and the hurricane season is really about to pop.

That being said, I have a question and would like to know your thoughts.

Charley is currently in a long puppy cut and Ellie is all fluffy. (I just can't make myself trim her into a puppy cut - she would lose all the black tips) I have been thinking that if we get severe weather here (hurricane) - and God I hope we don't - would it be better to leave them in longer hair or to trim it a much as possible?

Trim it so it's easier to clean them up and not as hot.....

Don't trim it as it offers their skin protection....

Hurricanes = lots of crapola from the trees in the yard and who knows what else, no power if you are unlucky (you all have seen the stuff that you may have to deal with on tv)

Of course, the trimming will have to be done well in advance as we will be busy securing the yard and house which is why I'm considering this now.

One note - we do not have running water if we lose power. (well water)

We won't evacuate unless it is a major hurricane headed right for us. We are well stocked with things for us as well as the pups.

Thoughts please.....

I think hair would serve to protect the skin from the sun and hazards in the area like sharp and jagged surfaces. You'd probably want to keep it at a manageable length so they don't get caught or tangled in debris. I think a puppy cut would be perfect in that situation.

I think a puppy cut would be good, also. Too much hair could be hard to keep up if you have an extended time without power and are busy cleaning up. I sympathise about not wanting to cut Ellie's black tips. Maybe you should keep both as they are. You're already used to the upkeep.

First off I have to say they aren't black tips per se on sables. The black hairs are intermingled with the tan hairs and they just look like they are tipped. :)
If it were me, I'd do what ever was the most managable if the power were to go out.

PUPPY CUT, but not nekid. They need some guard hairs for protection and it looks cute

I don't do anything different for mine at all except having plenty of canned dog food on hand in case I can't cook for them. If I were you though I think I'd stockpile some regular water so they don't have to drink the well water. Different water might upset their tummies at a time when you're already stressed. Some of the well water around here is positively nasty.

Dot
I do puppy cuts without skirts. That is because in the winter, they wear a cotton coat all the time for warmth. I just don't let the skirt grow in the summer. Much easier to maintain. I do keep water on hand at all times, like Sharon said. I also have a well, but we don't have hurricanes, we have fires.

Back