Therapy Training?

clover_mae

Goof lookin' 4 my ball!
Owned by
1 cocker
I don't have a health or behavior question, but I am seeking some advice. It still fits, right? Anyhoo, does anyone know how I may get in touch with a trainer/evaluator for training Clover on becoming a therapy dog? I've been thinking of doing this for a while now, but as I was watching the AKC Eukanuba National Championships, they took a break and awarded several service dogs for their accomplishments. One of which was for a dog that did therapy work at children's hospitals. That was just totally amazing to me, and I'd really like to get into that with Clover. :) I'd really like to further her training and Clover absolutely loves children... It could be a perfect match! ^_^

Robin knows. She's suggested that organization many times. I'm sure she'll tell you how to get in contact with them.

My Stormy holds the therapy title also from Robin. I didn't renew it because I don't have time yet to take him. Michael hates hospitals. But later this year, when I cut down my hours, I just may get him re-evaluated and start again. It depends. My Pogo would be a great therapy dog also.

Oh, wow! I didn't realize there were so many therapy puppies! ^_^ That's totally amazing! Thanks, Robin. That really helps; exactly what I was looking for. :) Do you think it will be a big problem that large breed dogs (like Great Danes) initially scare Clovie? She'll be all happy to see another dog, but once they're in her face -- even if the large dog is calm -- she'll totally freeze and piddle. I mean, I'd be terrified too if I were only 13 inches tall and someone the size of a Clydesdale hovered over me upon my first greeting. One of Clover's friends, Dante, is a Dane and though she was initially afraid of him, they play like they are the best of friends!

I'll let Joyce answer that question for you. She's an actual evaluator for TDI. I will say mailnly what they're looking for is aggression.

Gracie is only "certified" locally, because there are no TDI evaluators within like 4 provinces of me. I have been looking into having Grace certified through TDI (they have a program for foreign dogs) but I haven't followed through on it. Our local organization uses the Canine Good Citizen test as a starting ground for determining a dog's temperament, but they also evaluate things like reaction to handling, shouting, etc more closely too, since those kinds of things occur regularly at therapy visits.

The dog should be well-behaved - sit, down, stay/wait, come, etc. Not constantly jumping up on people, and not too "in-your-face" during visits. Not reactive to other dogs (since they may encounter other dogs at the visit site), not afraid or reactive to medical equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, IV poles, etc. They have to be fairly stable in temperament, and of course, sweet and cute helps!

Back