Tonsilitits

Sue_Fleur

Hi
I am wondering if anyone has had a dog with tonsilitis before and if they knew what caused it. I have a 2 1/2 year old cocker spaniel, and hse has just gotten over tonsitlits for the 3rd time in 2 years. She doesn't get it often, and it doesnt seem bad she coughs a fair bit and last itme about amonth ago they were quite enlarged and inflamed.

As it is not too often I don't want them to investiage but wondering if anyone else has had it with their dog, because unlike humans it needs to be caused by soemthing eg reflux, gastric.

Hi Sue!
No, I have never had a dog with Tonsilitits, but, someone here has I'm sure!

Yes, tonsilitis seems to be fairly common in show dogs . . . people think it's because of the position of the show lead around the neck. Not sure if your dogs are shown at all in conformation, but maybe that's contributing?

Most people here would just have the tonsils removed . . . if you have laser surgery (if your vets have that available) it's fairly quick and relatively painless.

My Asha has had tonsilitis quite a bit and is not a show dog. When I asked my vet (she's a holistic one) she doesn't recommend having them removed as it can cause even more probs down the road. She thinks allergies are playing a part in Asha's problem as her lymph nodes there are also enlarged.

Reagan has had tonsillitis before. Our vet suspected allergies caused it. He didn't recommend removing them either. He said it was an option down the road if we couldn't manage it, but she only has an occasional problem.

Merk's says it more common in small breeds like Pekingese, Pugs and Shih Tzu because of their anatomy (brachycephalia). Does your cocker suffer from chronic ear, nose or throat infections? Infections are another cause of tonsillitis.

We had a poodle who had it when I was little. My dad thought it swallowed a little superball and he kept trying to shake the ball out of the dogs throat which really wasn't a ball but tonsillitis.

Dogs get everything humans get. That poodle had a slipped disk as well.

Has she been tested for strep? Years ago my little Pherddie got it and we thought she had tonsilitis until my son was diagnosed with it and kept getting it finally our pediatrican suggested having the dog tested. Yep, she kept giving it to him.

Thank you for all your replies. She is not a show dog, and because she got it once, I take her for walks in a harness, and hse is a puller (my fault there though).

She does has allergies even though she got tested and it came back negative, twice. Now trying a new blood test that has come out.

It is all interesting to read. The vet knows of her allergies but never suggested they were related, but ask next time or if she gets it again. I don't really want them out, either.

She suffers from ear problems sometimes, but not infections, she gets yeast as she loves swimming, but not really throat problems either.

Thank you everyone who rplied, its been a great help to me

Yes I have had quite a few dogs with tonsilitis...just get them removed. Its better for her in the long run. Instead of fighting one infection after another.
I think they got it from stress of some sort, travel or change...more common in my buffs than any other color.

Last edited:
Back